Do I need to help our Blue Tongue to shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrx-chick

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Haven't posted on here in a little while - My son got a baby Bluey for his birthday in April. He has been growing well, eating, and active, and has shed once since we have had him. Today I came home to find him in the process of shedding, but hasn't completely finished. There are rough patches on his back, on his front legs, and the very tip of his tail looks like it hasn't come off (the shed, that is, not his tail). So, my question is, how long do I leave him before I need to look into helping him, and if I need to, how do I go about helping him to get rid of the last of it... Last time he shed quite successfully, all by himself. Thanks, Amy

I don't know much about lizards but you should remove the skin off his tail tip as retained shed there can cut off circulation and cause infection. Not sure about the rest of it though :)

Thanks for the reply, seems I was a bit quick to worry though, just went and checked on him again, and the last patches on his back and legs had been rubbed off, and I just gently rubbed the end of his tail (really softly) to see how loose or tight the piece was, and it came off in my fingers... so he has had another successful shed :) And is getting darker with every shed too, it seems...

Be gentle when you pull the old skin away as it can tear the new skin underneath. You can also give it a shallow bath in tepid water to soften the skin. Make sure there is no retained shed left around the toes or tail.

Give him a bath (around 26c) for around half hour, up to shoulder height. This will soften the skin so it comes off alot easier.

Rick

I'll give mine (especially little ones) a shallow luke warm bath (only enough to water to cover the belly - I get the temperature to about 30oC and let them stay in as long as they like) and I'll gently bath them with a wet bit of absorbant paper towel ( drag it across them and apply no force) to help loose the shed and I'll particularly focus on the feet and toes and tail.

The rest they get off themselves by burrowing through the Kritters Crumble.

If it's a difficult shed on the legs and feet and toes and tail I'll gently help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back