Greenhouse Advice....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well, my new hobby is quite simply going to be plants for a little while... Everything from natives to tomatoes...

Since moving to NZ I need to fill the gap that herpetology has left... I can go out looking for jewelled geckos and hooker sealions (yes, they're really hookers), or even yellow eyed penguins... But on those days where you want to sit home and just do 'something' in an enclosure... Well, I'm left with a greenhouse (though I am not complaining I LOVE plants).

My problem is this... Finances - I'm not overly rich (sorry everyone who I wrote into my will, but you'll be owing money rather than receiving it).

I purchased a cheap (and I mean cheap) greenhouse structure form Bunnings - was $99. Unfortunately the joins broke while putting it up so I spent $50 more getting better joins. Then winds came along, so I spent $50 more getting stronger supports by adding shower curtain rails as support structures on the back wall and front.

I've added irrigation systems (around $45 for hoses - including a garden hose).

But the greenhouse is just too flimsy for this South Otago winds (I admit the winds gusted up to 100km/hr and the greenhouse only partially collapsed and my strengthening methods were good enough for night two of 70km/hr winds).

My idea was to build a second home made job from scratch.

I've had a couple of ideas - but I want to keep it below $250 if possible (that's $NZ).

I'd like to see your ideas for a 2 x 2 x 1.8m structure or there-abouts.

I searched this:

How to build My 50 Dollar Greenhouse ? The Door Garden

But I am considerably worried about using conduit piping in our occasional high winds.

What about treated wood? Do I have an issue with the treated wood getting wet and leaching? Because it's a very wet place in the greenhouse!!!

I had considered Cubeloc as well - but at $55 per 5m it's pricey!

Plus - what is my cheapest option for the covering? Proper greenhouse stuff is really pricey!!!

Really, I'd just like ideas - and something EASY to build... Cheap... But does the trick...

Also - it will NOT be permanently fixed to the ground - it will be sitting on a tarp base on slightly sloping land.

Does this also means it could have a flat roof and water will run off from the top that way?

I am definitely leaning towards the electrical conduit way - but will that be sturdy enough in the reasonable winds we get????

I would still stick with the PVC piping, the reason for the dome shape is that it is a much stronger shape. Imagine if it were square (as with wood this is most likely), the wind will topple it over easily - this would mean you would need proper foundations and supporting beams and posts. With the dome, the wind is able to glide over the structure easily (somewhat like a wing of a plane). However what will allow the wind to not carry it away is if you submerge the edges of the greenhouse into the ground. Reason is, the wind gets under the edges and creates a mean for lift. Alternatively you can tuck the covering under the structure then weigh down the structure with sandbags. Also have sandbags on the outside to prevent any lift.

Also the longer the pitch on the curve the more stable it is. The one in the photos from the link is what you call a short pitch.

i know you said greenhouse but have you considered glass vivs for smaller plants?

actual proper ones & arrange your own mini ecosystem inside the house kinda thing
should cost less(depending on what you plan on planting etc) than your conventional greenhouse?

Thanks Virides - I think we are set with the PVC style.

K3nny - I have actually a few decent house plants already... I am wanting the greenhouse for native tree seedlings as well as larger outdoor plants - it gets pretty cold here at night so a greenhouse is essential for early cropping.

We have quite a bit of space here too - so it's ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back