help required

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inthegrass

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
we have a staffie( english dog type), lovely dog, extemely affectionate. our problem is that it loves to play with the dogs next door and behind us, to the extent where he will chew the fence palings until he has created enough space to get through, he also digs holes if the palings are to tough.
i have tried training him with cricket bat, baseball bat, broke both of those, electric fence at 240v and triped the saftey switch ,and he just thought i was playing with him;) .
any ideas on how to keep him in our yard would be helpful. he gets lots of attention, walked every day, plays with my 6 year old son and gets to sleep on my sons bed at night. what more could a dog want.

The electric fence idea isn't a bad one, but not quite at 240v. :( You can buy containment systems that for dogs where general 'training' doesn't work are often quite effective. http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vetprods/itemdesc.asp?ic=SD-2000&eq=&Tp=

Bit expensive, but if it works and he stops of the behaviour, you might be able to test it with the containment system disabled and resell it. Plus, to live with a better animal is worth it, I think.

A few cheaper things you might like to try first is spray the palings with citronella and/or chilli/pepper. Also around the base of the fence where he is digging, put blue metal and see if it discourages the dog. Also try burying their excrement where they tend to dig under the fence - they get to that they sometimes stop. One last thing, carefully bury small inflated balloons - just dig a hole big enough and lightly cover in soil. Guess what happens when he tries to dig through them ...... BANG!!!

Also buy cheap chicken wire and staple to the fence along the bottom.

Good luck.

Try spraying the palings with chilli powder, if that don't work try a trip wire rigged to Grenade ( like in Nam )along the fence line and mines under the fence. One way or another this will fix your problem, it will take out your dog or the one next door and your problem will be no more.

Go for an electric fence or a steel one, most dogs will onlt touch an electric fence once or twice, others kick a kick out of the risk and test their luck. Just make sure you try the fence on youself first to see if its ok.

I have never heard of a 240 volt electric fence that must be really weak?

Go for an electric fence or a steel one, most dogs will onlt touch an electric fence once or twice, others kick a kick out of the risk and test their luck. Just make sure you try the fence on youself first to see if its ok.

I'll be the test dummy :) Not like I haven't done it before...

exploding neck collar...once he gets out of range of the receiver...BOOOM! :lol:

Seriously though, we had a similar problem and we ended up laying some chicken wire on the ground along the fence and pegged it down. About 1ft of the wire went up the fence (kinda in an 'L' shape).

call dogmaster trainers on the gold coast, they sell and used to hire alot of electronic dog training devices. I bought a couple of remote trainers off of them a few years ago and my only gripe was that they worked too well, i turned 3 dogs from useless to handy working dogs quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back