Herping FNQ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carinata

Reaction score
Heading up to Port Douglas around Christmas for 2 or so weeks. Wouldn't mind a herp in the region from Cairns/Kuranda area to Cape Tribulation (won't have constant vehicle access, only for a few days). Would love to have a spot with some regularity in scrubbies (focus species). Also wouldn't mind seeing Jungles, Leafies, Chameleon Geckos, maybe a BHP I know they're rare. Just really want to see a scrub python. And apparently there's water pythons in the Port Douglas wastewater facility soooo...

Don't want anyone's secret spots (as a fisho I respect that), just wouldn't mind a consistent spot (don't mind low numbers).

Also what's the go, road cruising, night walks, etc.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding Scrubbies around Cairns at that time of year. If you just drive around roads/tracks in forested areas you'll find a few, they'll be one of the easiest species to find. You might get lucky and see a Black-headed Python, they're certainly around and I've seen a few up there. Depending on where you are and what you're personally like, walking or road cruising may be better. I personally certainly see more Scrubbies on the road than when I'm on foot.

When I'm in North QLD I usually find a few Scrubbies without trying before I get to any of the areas I'm expecting to see them, and then I see plenty in those areas. The Cairns area is loaded with them.

Chameleon Geckoes will probably require you to go to a more specific location, I've only seen a couple and it was when someone took me specifically to an area they knew we were likely to see them. To be honest I can't actually remember where we were! Somewhere in the Cairns area though.

Should be a good trip! Have fun and herp responsibly :)

Back