How many animals for a Menagerie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hsut77

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My planned purchase of some bearded dragons has come up against a little bit of opposition as I am apparently building a "Menagerie" (wife speak for too many animals). How many animals (species and number of individuals) do you think constitute a Menagerie? We currently have 1 Guppy, 4 Ferrets, 2 Pythons (Md & Spotted) and a .....ummmmm cough..a cat..cough (not my idea!!).

All I have planned is 3 Beardies, 2 Olives, 2 BHP some nice Stimmies and maybe a dog or 2.

Now..... am I being unreasonable?

Of course you're not!
I think you're being reasonable because you let her keep a cat ;)

Well, my comment to her would be that at least YOUR pets are in enclosures, and are easy to look after...The cat prolly gets to roam the house and the dogs would prolly roam the backyard...LoL Snakes and lizards and fish etc are confined in reasonably small spaces...and snakes dont need to eat every night, so they are cheaper too...

Good luck, hahaha

I agree, you're being reasonable, letting your wife have a cat. :lol:

Personally, I would rather keep a small number of animals that I have time for and can afford.

menagerie.... check out my lovely little zoo.... which is also home to another 23 centepedes and 36 spiders....

http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=53387

i'd say as long as you have enough time (i have help from a house mate and my other half whom i live with) and money to look after them all properly there isnt a problem..... buy her some shoes or something....

and isnt forgiveness easier to obtain than permission??? lol thats someones signature cant remember who.... but it definately applies in the herp world when it comes to dealing with partners....

I suppose my hubby's lucky that I'm now as big a herp freak as him (if not a little more) so I'm encouraging him to get more!!! He has a wishlist a mile long (and half of it's mine)!!!!
I would never own a cat!!! I did when I was a little girl but I've grown allergic to them!!!

Good Luck Mate with the whole menagerie thing and we'll have to share pics of our menageries!!!! haha!!

Mell :D

i've got a dog, rat, frog, gecko and 10 or so fish i wear the title of menagerie owner with pride!

i have 3 pythons (soon to be 4), 3 geckos, 2 ewds and a dog.....

the significant other said no more at 2 pythons, 2 geckos, 2 ewds and a dog but they keep on coming in! :)

tell your other half what i told mine on the weekend! i spent $18.40 on food and this will feed 6 animals for 3 weeks!

and i spent another $4 to feed the ewd's for 6 weeks!

cant get any cheaper than that! :D

no you sould be saying look woman we need these animals they are magic happy animals and they make special magic thing happen and we need as many as we can get

Dont think you are even close as yet

Menagerie
is the term for a historical form of keeping wild and exotic animals in human captivity and therefore a predecessor of the modern zoological garden. The term was foremost used in seventeenth century France originally for the management of the household or domestic stock, but later primarily for an aristocratic or royal animal collection. The French-language "Methodical Encyclopaedia" of 1782 defines a menagerie as an "establishment of luxury and curiosity." Later on the term was referred even to travelling animal collections that exhibited wild animals at fairs across Europe and the Americas.

1. A collection of wild or unusual animals, especially for exhibition.
2. An enclosure where wild or unusual animals are kept or exhibited.
3. A diverse or varied group.

[SIZE=-1]A zoological garden, or zoo for short, is a place where wild animals are encaged in an artificial environment and exhibited to the public

We have 30 species 100+ animals including domestics 6 kids 9 grandkids I think that is closer
[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back