keeping turtles outside

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firedragon

Reaction score
I have searched and again looked through the books i have but can't find the answer...
Our two shortneck turtles are 1 yr old one is 11 1/2 cm long the other 12 cm, are they still too small to be kept outside pemanently. If i do keep them outside, do i need to put a heater in the water at night so the water doesn't get too cold? We live in Redcliffe QLD near the water if that helps at all with a fare idea of teperatures....

I've kept long necks of that size outside in unheated water in Sydney during the summer months. If they are currently in a heated tank, I would turn the heater off to acclimatise them to cooler water for a few days first. I'm sure they will love being outdoors.
Allan

Hi firedragon,

Follow Allan's advice.

I think that the answer also depends on a few other factors. Firstly, the actual species of short-necked turtle. Whether they are a local species or a tropical species (warm water) or a southern (cold water) species.

Secondly, it depends on the size of your pond. If it is a large, deep pond, it will hold a fairly stable temperature. If it is a small or shallow pond, the temperature will fluctuate daily, which can lead to respiratory problems.

Thirdly, in my opinion, 11-12cm for a 1 year old short necked turtle suggests that they have been overfed on an incorrect diet, which will significantly shorten their life-span.

Regards,
Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back