My Latest Project - The Barra Pool....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 3.36m swimming pool ($75) from Bunnings. Knowing I would hardly use it for swimming, I decided to stock it with barramundi and freshwater prawns.

I have 6 small barramundi in there (one pictured in the second picture) and a few prawns, shrimp etc.

I have been catching guppies to feed the barra, and the prawns are just a bycatch so I thought they could have a nice safe home in the Prawn Rock Garden located in the pool.

I will probably put mre rocky hides in there too.

I haven't seen much of the barra since they've been in there. But every day there seems to be less and less guppies, swordtails etc as they slowly get eaten.

Anyhow - I have to continaully stock the fish up again - using small bait traps seems to work well.

Suggestions? I'm always open to hear some...

Cheers

Attachments

• P4281743a.jpg
    P4281743a.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 155
  • P4281742a.jpg
    P4281742a.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 160
  • P4281744a.jpg
    P4281744a.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 147
verry pretty paul :D:D:D:D:D
can i come swimming in it.

That is so cool!!! I love Barra, I used to keep a few back in my fish days. Makes me want to do the same thing as you have done. Looks great!!

hehe... Swimming with the barra - the new extreme tourism sport!!!

Actually, I'm more scared of those prawns, look at dem nippers...

I would like to eventually, with time, tame up the barra so they feed from ya hand, and I can hear them boof!!!

Yes take the time to tame them!!! I had 2 4 foot long barra that used to eat from my hands, it was great!!! I used to go through a kilo of frozen white bait every week, but it was great!!!!

That is great . I've had one of those pools for a few years and been thinking about doing the same thing but with bass or silver perch. Are you using the pump and filter that came with it, because I can't get the filters any more.
Make sure you under a roof to keep out leaves, etc . I had big problems when my filter needed replacing and couldn't clean it properly. It just became a major time consumer.
Ended up becoming a frog breeding grounds. The local frog population got a huge boost!
But if you get it going right they are perfect and cheap. Yours looks pretty inviting, my kids would be in there in a flash!!!

I would like to eventually, with time, tame up the barra so they feed from ya hand, and I can hear them boof!!!
Yeah that will happen in time, they are also fairly easy to get onto pellet food in time too.

They are actually very peaceful fish and generally wont hurt anything they cant eat, i think they know if they stay friendly towards other fish so they will be able to eat them easier later lol.

They grow very quick though and easily get over a foot long in 6 months.

That is great . I've had one of those pools for a few years and been thinking about doing the same thing but with bass or silver perch. Are you using the pump and filter that came with it, because I can't get the filters any more.
Make sure you under a roof to keep out leaves, etc . I had big problems when my filter needed replacing and couldn't clean it properly. It just became a major time consumer.
Ended up becoming a frog breeding grounds. The local frog population got a huge boost!
But if you get it going right they are perfect and cheap. Yours looks pretty inviting, my kids would be in there in a flash!!!

I don't use the filter that came with it - it's too wussy - instead i purchased two pond filters, one to produce a small fountain like action and the other too move the water around. It is undercover, in my back porch, I'm very lucky where I live to have this room.

Because the pool is above ground, and is curved, toads have no chance of getting in to it, which is pleasing for me!!!

But I am hopeing maybe a few green tree frogs make it their breeding grounds as there are plenty around... but I htink the barra will eat the tadpoles and the eggs - hopefully a few may survive!

It's certainly not a time waster - but i can sit and watch the prawns for ages!!! I need a yabbie now - a big red claw!!! hehe...

That is great . I've had one of those pools for a few years and been thinking about doing the same thing but with bass or silver perch.

Thats a great idea - I know a guy who did it with Bass in an old above ground pool and had his own bass fishing contest - using lures without hooks attached - sounds like great fun.

Yep I found that the pump and filter that came with it was under gunned as well, oh well I'll buy a bigger one for it one day and get it going.
Mmmm, bbq bass.

Yep I found that the pump and filter that came with it was under gunned as well, oh well I'll buy a bigger one for it one day and get it going.
Mmmm, bbq bass.

yes I have been thinking of the BBQ Christmas barra served with a side of chilli river prawn... Yummo...

yes I have been thinking of the BBQ Christmas barra served with a side of chilli river prawn... Yummo...

Thats sound like an invite to me! My idea of an aussie xmas!
Good setup to mate you just need one of those $10 kiddies rods
to catch them before you eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back