neophema parrot emergency !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok, so I had a pair of scarlet chested parrots nesting with the female sitting on eggs and the male feeding her. I just went out to check on them and found the male dead in front of the nesting box. he had died within the past 2hours. so I checked in the nesting box in case there were any chicks that needed emergency hand rearing. there weren't any chicks but im concerned about the female cos he isn't there to feed her anymore. im not sure what to do cos I don't want her to starve or anything. will she figure out/notice by herself or do I need to help her? please anyone who knows anything!!!

put food and water in bowls near her in the nest box and see how she does, if not then incubate the eggs.

she will either stave trying to hatch them or abandon them cause she needs to eat.

She won't starve herself to death. She will however abandon the nest in time and if she does manage to hatch the chicks she will struggle to raise them. I believe you have a few choices. You can let nature takes it's course, remove the eggs and incubate and raise them yourself, or just remove the eggs and let them go cold. Whatever you decide, the female should remain in good health. Any signs of what caused the death of the male?

sorry guys I think I was just abit freaked out. yeah, id rather her survive and the eggs not then her starving to death. just she seemed very dependent on the male and only came out when he called her and poked his head in the nest.... I think this is one case where I need to get another mate for her
put food and water in bowls near her in the nest box and see how she does, if not then incubate the eggs.

she will either stave trying to hatch them or abandon them cause she needs to eat.
She won't starve herself to death. She will however abandon the nest in time and if she does manage to hatch the chicks she will struggle to raise them. I believe you have a few choices. You can let nature takes it's course, remove the eggs and incubate and raise them yourself, or just remove the eggs and let them go cold. Whatever you decide, the female should remain in good health. Any signs of what caused the death of the male?
no, he was fine last time I checked on them. it was almost like he died while sitting on the nesting box perch. :| im thinking maybe leaving her for abit and see how she go's. if there are chicks though I will give her a hand

Last edited:
Sorry:( that sucks when you have no idea what happened...Are her eggs fertile? any other pairs you can foster too if they are fertile? We have a friend close by who breeds the same birds we do and as a last resort we'll pop the eggs round to his place to put under another hen..wouldn't advise getting her another mate till you've sorted what you're doing with the clutch and you'll also need to make sure she doesn't have anything that can be passed on to the new bird

Sorry:( that sucks when you have no idea what happened...Are her eggs fertile? any other pairs you can foster too if they are fertile? We have a friend close by who breeds the same birds we do and as a last resort we'll pop the eggs round to his place to put under another hen..wouldn't advise getting her another mate till you've sorted what you're doing with the clutch and you'll also need to make sure she doesn't have anything that can be passed on to the new bird
im not sure if they are fertile or not. I don't have any other pairs who can look after the eggs. im thinking I might just let her be for a bit, and see how she go's

I know it wont help with this clutch or strate away, but should I get her a new mate

You will most likely miss the rest of this breeding season, but there's no reason why not, just remember to quarantine the new bird b4 introduction to the hen..how's she going, still sitting the eggs, and you can candle bird eggs the same way reptile eggs are candled and about when did she lay her first egg/when are they due to hatch?

You will most likely miss the rest of this breeding season, but there's no reason why not, just remember to quarantine the new bird b4 introduction to the hen..how's she going, still sitting the eggs, and you can candle bird eggs the same way reptile eggs are candled and about when did she lay her first egg/when are they due to hatch?
Yeah, she is still sitting on them, but she does come out to eat. She laid the eggs about 2 weeks ago, They weren't fertile last time so I doubt they will be this time

If you can find a little torch, candle them just to be sure..most hens will sit the eggs without a mate, and as I understand, many of the Neophema hens know when they have fertile eggs and when they're not, they can some how control this many breeders believe, when there has been lots of rain and plenty of grass the eggs are nearly always fertile, we have had lots and lots of rain in qld this year and this will probably be our best year so far, for fertility in a few years,chicks everywhere atm :).. I guess it's pretty cold down there atm and I would be worried that if they are fertile and she's coping with extreme cold as well, I think I would toss the eggs anyway to save her health and if you are planning on getting a mate for her and you quarantine him now, you'll get in another nest before the end of the season..but the eggs if fertile will be due to hatch in 7 days or so, youll need to be prepared to raise all bar one, or all if you want her in good condition to breed again later this year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back