new water dragon,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I recently bought an eastern water dragon, (he's about 4cm not including his tail). He occasionally eats small crickets but very rarely, (once a week?) and he can't eat mealworms beacuse their shell is too hard for him. I was told to give him white mealworms except these are very hard to find in the petshop.

Any Ideas what I can feed him?

cheers.
Riley

Hi Riley

I've raised two EWDs from 5wks old -they are almost two now.

I have always stayed away from using mealworms for any of my reptiles.

Both of my EWDs will eat vegs/greens/fruit - they especially love mushrooms, broccoli leaves, spinach leaves and fruit (not banana) like grapes, apples, strawberries, raspberries too. They love to chase dusted woodies around their enclosure too. Try a mix of dog food (I use My Dog - beef and liver - they just love it) you could mix that through the vege/fruit/salad mix to encourgae him to eat. I often mix through liquid calcium too.

Make sure you cut their food up into little diced pieces - about 1/3 of thier head size.

Make sure too that your little guy is warm enough (mine love thier hotspot around 30/32 degrees)
If he's only five weeks old - he's only going a eat a little at a time - you could try every second/third day for feeding - they are pretty slow growing lizards.

Good Luck Riley :)

hey,

ive had the little guy for about 3-4 weeks now, but he was eating fairly well up until almost 2 weeks ago. thanks bluereptile

thanks adele! yeah ive generally tried not to feed mealworms to the beardies too. ill try him with a bit of vegies and fruit now and maybe my dog's food later.
At the moment, he's under a heat fan light, which has a controlled heat with uva and uvb. Also, he doesnt really like going in the water much, is that normal for when theyre young?

Thanks again!
Riley

Ewd

Hey Riley

My EWDs have always enjoyed the water - make sure your little guy has a rock in his water feature - somewhere he can sit in the water but not necessarliy submerged in there - mine always pooh in their water-never anywhere else. Make sure he can climb in and out of the water easily. If he's not using the water perhaps you could give him a fine misting every couple of days to keep him hydrated.

Give him time to settle in with you - you haven't had him very long. Make sure he's not around lots of traffic/busyness in your house, watch out for loud music/noise too - this can be unsettling for new reptiles. I would try not to handle him to much too, give him a nice quite spot and see if he settles and starts feeding more for you.

Again...Good Luck - they are great lizards - with big personalities :)

Oh ok. Will do.
Haha he loves being held, whenever I put my hand in his tank to clean the water etc he jumps on my hand and runs up my arm :p

White mealworms..They are just your average mealworm after they have shed, they look much lighter then the rest & are much softer.

Hi Riley

I've raised two EWDs from 5wks old -they are almost two now.

I have always stayed away from using mealworms for any of my reptiles.

Both of my EWDs will eat vegs/greens/fruit - they especially love mushrooms, broccoli leaves, spinach leaves and fruit (not banana) like grapes, apples, strawberries, raspberries too. They love to chase dusted woodies around their enclosure too. Try a mix of dog food (I use My Dog - beef and liver - they just love it) you could mix that through the vege/fruit/salad mix to encourgae him to eat. I often mix through liquid calcium too.

Make sure you cut their food up into little diced pieces - about 1/3 of thier head size.

Make sure too that your little guy is warm enough (mine love thier hotspot around 30/32 degrees)
If he's only five weeks old - he's only going a eat a little at a time - you could try every second/third day for feeding - they are pretty slow growing lizards.

Good Luck Riley :)

How big are you easterns at 2 years??? Just curious as a mate has 1 but doens't know how old it is. Thanks.

Last edited:
enlosure???

my enclosure is 3m by 1.5m is that big enough for a full grown also 1.8m high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back