Orchard charged over parrot deaths

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
!!! What stupid WP(UT @#P(UT IOPVJ Q@$)UI @_TU)E RG_AUD) G!!!
I hate people!

/end rant

The workers will be blamed by the company, they will be sacked for doing what they were told and the company will get a slap on the wrist fine.

I used to live about 2km from that orchard. Sounded like a war zone with all of the shots going off all the time. Not surprised!

Here is some background on the species involved:

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/tsprofile_regent_parrot.pdf

Even the species they had a permit to kill are on the protected list and hefty penalties apply for anyone who collected them from the wild and attempting to export them is a shooting offence!

Unfortunately that's the aussie system. Millions of permits are issued to kill them, but taking one as a pet carried a huge penalty. People would pay thousands for them overseas, but they'd rather mass exterminate them.
The person that shot the parrots is ultimately the one responsible, whether their boss told them to or not. I've had bosses tell me to break the law before and I've always refused.

Unfortunately that's the aussie system. Millions of permits are issued to kill them, but taking one as a pet carried a huge penalty. People would pay thousands for them overseas, but they'd rather mass exterminate them.
The person that shot the parrots is ultimately the one responsible, whether their boss told them to or not. I've had bosses tell me to break the law before and I've always refused.

My hunch is that the "workers" (and probably their bosses also) are not sufficiently educated to tell the difference between the endangered species and that for which they had the permit - parrot in orchard, have permit will shoot!

Part of the responsibility must also be with the authority issuing the permit. You can't for example get a duck hunting authority (in Victoria at least) without doing a duck identification exam.

I decided to vent my disgust with this situation by emailing the company and and expressing my thoughts direct with them.

To which I received, just now, the following reply:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Dear Mr IsK,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Thank you for your communication concerning the destruction of parrots of a protected species on an almond orchard managed by our company. We fully understand your concerns about this incident.[/FONT]

Select Harvests Limited were advised by the Department of Sustainability and Environment “DSE” in late November 2006 of the destruction of parrots of a protected species near an almond orchard managed by the company. The company has cooperated fully with the DSE investigation into this incident.

The company regrets that this incident occurred and has informed the DSE that the employees involved were not acting under instruction from the company. The DSE were also informed that the destruction of the parrots was contrary to the policies and procedures of the company in place to protect wildlife. The DSE has been informed that following an internal investigation by the company into the incident two employees who were involved were dismissed for serious misconduct.

The company takes its environmental responsibilities seriously, has a good
record in environmental management to date and adheres to environmental plans that preserve the habitat of native species. Almond developments have had a positive environmental impact. The change in land use and the increase in food source has seen a rejuvenation of remnant native vegetation and an increase in the wildlife population, in particular bird species.

Prior to the incident the company had comprehensive policies in place to protect wildlife. To ensure a similar incident does not reoccur in the future, the company has since the incident undertaken a full review of all policies and procedures and developed an updated wildlife management plan which has been presented to the DSE for approval. The company has recently appointed an Environmental Manager who has responsibility for implementing and monitoring this plan. All staff involved in wildlife management at orchards managed by the company have been re-inducted in our policies and procedures and undertaken extensive retraining.

Yours sincerely

John Bird
Managing Director
Select Harvests Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back