Pet therapy - how have pets helped you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
No - not having pets psychoanalysed, but taking them out to meet people who need cheering up!

I took my rottie to the oncology ward of a local hospital today. It's great to see the response of people to a dog and gratifying to see that they recognise her lvoing nature rather than reacting negatively to a "tough" breed. I've been doing pet therapy visits with my dogs to hospitals, nursing homes and hostels for about 5 years. My dogs and I get as much out of it as the people we visit. Sometimes it makes you want to cry when you see how simple it is to really life someone's spirits. Some examples from my experience:

• Woman with schizophrenia in aged care hostel who was afraid to come out of her room, but came out to meet the dog. After that she never missed a visit and started interacting more with others.
  • Woman who was blind and mostly deaf. No other recreation worked for her, but when she held Fang (fluff dog) her face lit up like a giant Christmas tree.
  • Lonely lady who just moved into aged care - spent 20 minutes sobbing while holding my dog because she'd had to give up her dog when moving to the home. Regular visits helped her adjust and feel less lonely.
  • People with advanced dementia and stroke who are able to talk to or sing to the dog and get a loving response. Other humans are not patient enough and just don't understand the emotions and intentions of people with communication problems.
  • Lady in a nursing home told me that patting the dog was the best pain relief she'd had in weeks.
  • Quadriplegic lady moved to tears when the dog snuggled up to her cheek and licked her.
  • I know of at least 2 funderals where a photo of the person holding my dog featured prominently, as it was the last genuine smile that had been photographed for that person.
Please note that I went through a training course and had my dogs assessed by a veterinarian before starting these visits. There are lots of OH&S considerations (liability insurance, etc.), but it's SO worth it. Just thought I'd share!

Big girl ready to go on a visit
SusanandSasha-2.jpg

Fluff dog on a visit many years ago.
SFangJosiebest.jpg

Our service was started by a woman who found that her dog helped her deal with chronic fatigue syndrome. How has your pet helped you?

thats really interesting and great to hear the animals are doing their bit to help others! not like they actually have to do anything, them just being there with you with their head in your lap makes you feel a million bucks!

not like they actually have to do anything, them just being there with you with their head in your lap makes you feel a million bucks!
Absolutely. Fluff dog knows lots of tricks and can put on a good show, but people get the most joy out of holding and patting him. I have to bribe him to get him off laps because he's so comfortable!

A couple of years back now i was in hospital for an operation. A couple of dogs came and gave me a visit and i must say it cheered up my day! Keep up the good work.

good onya mum.great work....it's a known fact that petting your cat or dog can help lower your blood pressure,i'd imagine a cat purring in return would be even more soothing. so i pet my cat often (resisting a possible rude joke).
my mum use to work in a nursing home and a lot of people in there are often forgotten by their own families sometimes only getting visitors once a year. it's great that you can help lift the spirits of those who are lonely and ill.

I have the original research paper where someone studied the physical effects of patting a dog - on both the dog and human. In BOTH the blood pressure drops, endorphins (natural painkillers) increse and a variety of "feel good" neurotransmitters increase. There is a real and measurable physical effect in addition to the psychological comfort. Both species enjoy it. (No one has tried the same experiment on cats, however.)

About 13 years ago my 22yr old niece killed herself. I went with my sister (her mother) to clean out her flat and I took my dog with me, we just kept the dog outside, but every now and then, when the stress got too much for me, I'd go and give Sasha a hug and she'd just sit quietly as if she knew. She really helped me get through that terrible time.

Excellent ....I know when I take my two maltese terrors(and I mean terrors!!) for a walk ...the amount of old people that love to walk up and have a chat and want to pat them is great ..you can see their faces light up and I suppose them being little ,fluffy and white ..the fear of dogs doesnt really exist with them ...(not saying you cant get an agro fluff ball)
great work with the elderly pythonmum.........have you tried with your snakes?

I find my snake very soothing, even just to watch. He's slow and graceful and fascinating, I just sit and watch him for hours. My mum knew for years that I wanted a snake, and I got him in March this year, unfortunately mum died in July last year, and so I named my snake after a dog mum had when she was a teenager. I know if mum was alive she'd be really pleased I had "Barrie", and when I'm missing her a lot, it really helps me to sit and watch this beautiful creature and to hold him sometimes. It's a very quiet, lovely time for me. I think animals are just marvellous.

Thats really special what your doing taking time out to help others. Your one special person! keep up the great work - giving smiles!

Lovely to hear more about it Susan. Thanks for the pics! I'm still keen to do that in the future with my gorgeous Lab.

when my partner and i lost our baby 15/06/2007
and or dog ace a red smithfild (red cattle dog) and all the other animals (ie fish, rats, mice, dragons and pythons) really helped us out

I believe animals have a fantastic way of cheering people up. When I'm down I always just sit and cuddle with my dog and it just makes me feel calm and secure. Most days the only reason I get up is for my animals. I'm all for Pet Therapy. The way animals brighten up my day is absolutely amazing!

Pythonmum, what you are doing is fantastic! Good on you!

I find that holding Snakey makes me feel relaxed and calm. When I've been upset or stressed about something. I get him out and I find the slithering action over my hands or neck calming. I like the way he seems to never be in a hurry to do anything (except eat!) and this helps me think about slowing down too. I feel more of a rapport with my python than with the dog, who is dad's companion. Snakey doesn't give any affection, but I get what I need by him just being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back