Post your hatchling beardy set ups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberlyann

Reaction score
Could everyone post their baby beardy set up's for me pretty please :)

Here you can see my 4 juvenile Central Bearded Dragon's in their enclosure and how l have set-up their enclosure,
and the measurements is 6 foot long by 3 foot wide by 2 foot high, it is made from exterior plywood the walls are 19mm thick and the floor is 25mm thick, as you can see the whole inside has been sealed with laminex to help protect the timber from moisture and toilet droppings.
Sorry about the photo quality l will try and take some more new photos of their enclosure set-up, when l get some free time either tonight or tomorrow.:)

Last edited:
Here you can see my 4 juvenile Central Bearded Dragon's in and how l have set-up their enclosure.
Sorry about the photo quality l will try and take some more new photos of their enclosure set-up, when l get some free time either tonight or tomorrow.:)

Impressive :)

here is my 4 week old hatchling, Frankie in his tank. It is a 4x 2 x 2 ft aquarium.

DSCF2577.jpg

DSCF2579.jpg

DSCF2578.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

here is my 4 week old hatchling, Frankie in his tank. It is a 4x 2 x 2 ft aquarium.

Do you have any problem with them on the sand? Ive read to use paper towel, there was a really good thread before on setting one up

It's all been fine so far, and the sand keeps the heat alot better. I think it's a pretty controversial topic, but I kept my gecko's on sand for their whole life and they didn't ever have any problems with it atall. I've only had Frankie for acouple of days, but he seems to appreciate having the sand at night, when the light go out and the heater turns off. He'll spread himself out and get cozy as it stays warm for a long time. Also I've always found sand alot easier to clean, and it looks alot nicer too.

I think being in a tank must be weird enough, let alone being on a substrate like newspaper or something similar, which their not naturally meant to be on. If sand is so bad for them, how do they survive in the wild?

That's just my idea, alot of people have good points for both sides of the argument though. :)

Hope that helps

Impressive :)

Kimberlyann, thanks for letting me know that my Beardie enclosure is impressive, let me tell you alot of time and money went into building this very well design lizard enclosure, it set me back close to $3000-00 in labour and material cost, and it was built to last for so many years not just a few here and there you get what you pay for.

Kimberlyann, thanks for letting me know that my Beardie enclosure is impressive, let me tell you alot of time and money went into building this very well design lizard enclosure, it set me back close to $3000-00 in labour and material cost, and it was built to last for so many years not just a few here and there you get what you pay for.

You did a wicked job, you should make them for some business or something :) I got my tank for $50 as it was from someone who keeps fish, and it no longer holds water. So you can do these things on a budget, but only to a certain extent. I spent alot of money on the technical stuff, like thermostats and lighting etc. but it sure is worth it. Nothing better than having someone complement you on your tank, or how well you look after something :)

If sand is so bad for them, how do they survive in the wild?

They don't live on entirely loose coarse grade sand in the wild. They often live on a very very fine grade of clay based sand which is generally compacted but for a silty top layer. There is also a lot of ground cover plants within their range. The particles of the 'sand' they live on in the wild are significantly finer than what you use.
Now apart from this... did it ever occur to you that they also die in the wild from impaction?? There is no way to get an accurate number of how many might die or become an easy target for predators due to impaction.

But hey, if you want to risk impaction good for you :) They are your pets... its a matter of choice, whether you want to risk impaction or not.
But don't lull others into a false sense of security based on your poor evidence for why people should use sand.

But don't lull others into a false sense of security based on your poor evidence for why people should use sand.
I'm not trying to lull anyone into anything... I just answered her question with my own opinion, I never said she had to do what I do. Everyone should be able to share their view, especially when asked.

I didnt mean this thread to turn into an argument, so please keep it calm.

I think all tanks look amazing in there own way when people take their time to look after them, if i was to buy sand i would get that magic sand stuff, ummm crystal sand? Sorry i can't think of the name, the one that is digestible. My adult beardy's have the kitter's crumble on their enclosure
You have a good point when you say thats what they have in the wild but thats the wild, wild animals wouldnt be used to having thawed rats when (just say) bhp's mainly eat other reptile's. They are used to being captive, sitting around looking pretty all day with their food handed to them on a silver platter (to speak).
Wow reptilian1924 $3000!

You did a wicked job, you should make them for some business or something :) I got my tank for $50 as it was from someone who keeps fish, and it no longer holds water. So you can do these things on a budget, but only to a certain extent. I spent alot of money on the technical stuff, like thermostats and lighting etc. but it sure is worth it. Nothing better than having someone complement you on your tank, or how well you look after something :)

Repti, thanks for your reply to my post in-regards to my lizard enclosure and what it cost me to get it built, let me tell you one thing here as the old saying goes you get what you pay for, and cheap things are not design to last long or look as good as more expensive things do no matter what they are.

l had a good mate of mine who is a Carpenter by trade who put in so many hours building this enclosure for me, just like he as done with every other enclosure he built for me. And l had to pay him for his time and trade skills he has cause l knew he would do a proffesional job for me.

l have at times thought about building good Reptile enclosures for business purposes, but l decided it was not worth it cause they would cost alot of money to build, and newcomers to the herp communitty could not afford enclosures as good as mine, where those who can afford it would rather build their own just like me.

l to am not here to have others complement me and my enclosures or how well l look after my Reptiles, its upto them if they decide to complement me or not.:p

Here is some more photos of my other enclosures l have with me or use to own in the past hope you enjoy viewing them on here.

Last edited:
Haha yeah, I agree. I didn't know you could get digestible sand? That sounds interesting. I use Red Desert sand, and then wash it once in warm water and sift is two or three times before using it. Everyone has their own way of setting up tanks and enclosures, and like I said before, It can be controversial.

Haha, yeah, our pet rats sure get alot more treats than they would in the wild, that's for sure! We got one as a rescue, and she's totally blind so she gets lots of treats through milking it for all it's worth! Haha.

l had a good mate of mine who is a Carpenter by trade who put in so many hours building this enclosure for me, just like he as done with every other enclosure he built for me.

That's awesome. My brother in-law is a carpenter, now your giving me ideas! Sounds like you have lots of other set-ups? Would be great to see some photos. I get really curious on other peoples set ups :)

Haha yeah, I agree. I didn't know you could get digestible sand? That sounds interesting. I use Red Desert sand, and then wash it once in warm water and sift is two or three times before using it. Everyone has their own way of setting up tanks and enclosures, and like I said before, It can be controversial.

Its called wild crystal, just google it and it should come straight up :) amazing stuff

Hey, this is my set-up. I have used sand with everyone of my beardies, from babies to adults, and no issues. I was told to keep them in a smaller enclosure while young to catch crickets easier, but each to there own.
hope this helps...

Attachments

• 22776.jpg
    22776.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 111
Its called wild crystal, just google it and it should come straight up :) amazing stuff

yeh, it looks awesome! Cool to have the bright colours like that, it makes the reptiles look really vibrant. That is pretty cool lol. Probably expensive, but looks like it's worth it.

yeh, it looks awesome! Cool to have the bright colours like that, it makes the reptiles look really vibrant. That is pretty cool lol. Probably expensive, but looks like it's worth it.

$25 for 5 kgs? im pretty sure

Oh, not too bad then. They might be selling it at the expo this year... Oooh :)

I didnt mean this thread to turn into an argument, so please keep it calm.

I think all tanks look amazing in there own way when people take their time to look after them, if i was to buy sand i would get that magic sand stuff, ummm crystal sand? Sorry i can't think of the name, the one that is digestible. My adult beardy's have the kitter's crumble on their enclosure
You have a good point when you say thats what they have in the wild but thats the wild, wild animals wouldnt be used to having thawed rats when (just say) bhp's mainly eat other reptile's. They are used to being captive, sitting around looking pretty all day with their food handed to them on a silver platter (to speak).
Wow reptilian1924 $3000!

if u were to use sand i wouldnt get it from a pet store or anything like that. use 'sydney sand' or 'play sand' i had my beafdies on that for a very long time till i had to sell them :(

beardies*

79d68ebc-3438-cbca.jpg
i got a hatchie in the top and middle one. They seem real happy so for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back