Pygmy Beardies hatching

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeback

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day All,
Just wondering if anyone coul dtell me how long it takes for a PBD to break through it's egg once a split has formed. Been about an hour now so am wondering if the little fella is stuck?
Thanks,
Ridgey

A full clutch (depending on size) can take up to 3 days, but an individual may take 2 to 5 hours (more or less). It'll find its way out. Goodluck with them :)

Good luck with them mate they can as k-allen said take a few hours to pop their head through but could sit in the egg for upto a day before they fully emerge. Im also at Baulkham Hills and keep them. Might be interested in getting some of your hatchies when they are ready.

How is it going has it popped its head out yet

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. I'll keep you posted. I won't be home until later but was very tempted to bring the whole incubator in to work for the day!

Nothing Sticking out yet, but another 2 splits in the same end as the first split.

Im no expert on this but i hope someone who has a bit more experience can give some advice. Sounds a bit long IMO.

Have anymore eggs started to hatch

bump

Last edited:
No action on the egg that split yesterday. Another one had a small split and was oozing this morning. Then, to the delight of my kids, a third one suddenly grew a head at about 1030hrs today! The family had to go out so I have brought the incubator back to work with me, there goes my productivity for the afternoon!! The head is fully out now and he is breathing.
We extended the split in yesterdays egg and it looks like the little fella is dead - very dry. Not sure what to do with the one that was split and oozing this morning. Do we leave it or will it end up dying because it cant get out? Survival of the fittest says if they can't get out of the egg they are not likely to thrive, I guess.

Help them out mate , split the egg enough so it can breathe. Do your best and good luck.

I actually did that just after I posted last, no sign of life though. Have now had a fourth egg pop with a little head sticking out - very cool to watch, I actually video'ed it.

11 to start. 4 went brown and mouldy. 2 have died during hatching, 2 now have their heads out, 1 is fully out and curled up in the corner. 2 to go! First clutch for them and us, so has been a steep learning curve!
The shells seem extremely tough, is that normal? We've changed the brand of calcium powder we're using, in case she has another clutch, just in case.

make sure you mist the hatchies a couple of times a day mate so they dont dehydrate. What brand of calcium powder did you change from /too. From what i have heard the second clutch if it comes along will be a bit softer due to the amount she would have used during the first clutch.

Three running around, threatening to bite my finger if it gets too close - gotta be a good sign! Unfortunately, one of them trampled one of the other eggs when i was trying to catch them. Caused it to burst, so I freed his nostrils and left it there. The three have been misted, they've got finely chopped veggies and a pad of moist paper towel in with them. Anyone got any other recommendations? They are still in the incubator.

They will be ok in the incubator few a few more days. You need to get some pinhead crickets Kellyville pets has them.They will definately feed better on live food. Have you got a rack set up for them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back