Baby Carpet Python Enclosure (need help!)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karuandragons

Reaction score
Hi all, I know this question has probably been asked a billion times, but I'm new in keeping snakes and want to do my full research before I go out and buy one. I currently own a blue tongue skink (have owned him for 6 years) so I have general knowledge in reptiles, however I've been dying to get a snake for ages and now I finally have the opportunity for it.

I've been looking into getting a Darwin Carpet python, more specifically an albino or sunglow morph, and currently there are breeders around my area with hatchlings/baby ones available. Doing research, I learnt that most owners house hatchlings/babies in plastic tubs for the first few months before putting them in larger tubs/enclosures by the time they are yearlings. Going through this forum however, I've seen owners keep their babies in proper enclosures instead of tubs - which, I'd personally prefer rather than plastic tubs. But I want what's best for the snake, and I'd love to hear your opinions/knowledge of keeping baby carpet pythons.

If I go with the plastic tub, what sizes do you recommend and what heatmats are best? I know a lot of petstores contain "hatchling kits" (small enclosures that come with the basics, such as a heatmat, water dish, etc) but I've seen mixed opinions on them and cheaper alternatives (however I do not want what's cheapest for the snake, I want what's best).

Any help is welcome! and any pictures of your babies are welcome too!

It's pretty straightforward, tub maybe 30cm long 20cm wide, heat mat, hides for warm and cold side, water dish, thermostat. That's the minimum really. the set ups at a pet shop can work fine but I haven't actually got one myself but there an easy way to start i guess. I recommend the tub set up simply because it gives you more time to monitor for mites and poop and stuff at least for a little while. I don't leave mine in tubs long since they grow pretty quickly. You can put plants or sticks in too if you like to give em more cover and something to climb.

Idk bout lizards but snakes can get stressed if there in a big enclosure without enough "clutter" you could say, to hide in or climb on so that pretty much why people use tubs. So they may not eat basically.

Personally I'd go with a tub then start working on the next enclosure so it's ready when the snake is ready to upgrade. But proper enclosure can be done if set up correctly

You don't need to spend a ton of money on it either. It's not gonna be in there long when you consider darwins can live 25 years so maybe keep it simple for the tub then if you plan on it go all out on the bigger enclosure. Some people go from tub to forever home but you can have a middle ground enclosure like a 4x2x2 or something that gives you plenty of time to build a really nice well functioning larger one it can spend the rest of its life in.

I have a diamond in a tub about to upgrade and I used a glass one with a 7w heatmat If my memory is right, few hides a plant and a perch from one end to the other. And obviously water bowl.

Your welcome to pm me and ask me anything, my first snake was a darwin too

I don't have a lot of time to write much but definitely go a tub, don't buy from the pet store. Look up my profile and my early posts from 2022, I had so much trouble due to incorrect husbandry. You'll find all the info you need in there. Good luck

Seeing as though you asked, here is a pic of my boy now..

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_021221776.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20240430_021221776.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
first up I'd say don't buy a kit from a petshop, apart from being expensive you get stuff you don't need. You're better off making your own setup, as mentioned above tub to start with and build a bigger one while it grows.
wood or melamine is best as glass doesn't hold heat well. Darwins are great snakes, we used to have one.

Back