Getting my snake catcher's license.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Spilota.

Good for you on getting your license.

However, if that's the preferred method you're being taught to bag a snake then who ever is running the course isn't teaching you a very good technique to bag a hot wild ven.

For one, if they haven't covered it already, you'll need to learn how to be confident in either tailing them or learning the correct method of using a grab stick because, unless it's a death adder, there's no way in the world you'll be able to use a hook alone to bag a wild venomous snake. In fact by using the method as shown there's every likelihood that you or someone nearby will end up in the emergency ward due to a snake bite.

Secondly you take the bag to the snake, NOT the snake to the bag. Instead of trying to lift the snake up into the bag you'll find it much simpler and safer to place the open end of the bag in front of the snake to provide it the opportunity to "escape" a frightening encounter by entering what it would consider a nice safe and secure hiding spot. You'll find this method much easier to bag a snake, especially something like a "Hot" Brown, than trying to lift it into a bag

Also take the time to learn to positively identify species that you are likely to encounter in your area and familiarize yourself with their preferred micro-habitat to provide it with the best opportunity to survive a new environment.

When releasing snake just be aware of the bio-dynamics of an area and never over populate a location by relocating snakes in the same area. Instead where possible and for the welfare of the snake try to relocate it back into or as close as possible to the area from where it has been removed.

Enjoy the experience but remember, wild snakes don't act anything like those used during courses so please do it safely.

Cheers,

George,

Hi Spilota.

Good for you on getting your license.

However, if that's the preferred method you're being taught to bag a snake then who ever is running the course isn't teaching you a very good technique to bag a hot wild ven.

For one, if they haven't covered it already, you'll need to learn how to be confident in either tailing them or learning the correct method of using a grab stick because, unless it's a death adder, there's no way in the world you'll be able to use a hook alone to bag a wild venomous snake. In fact by using the method as shown there's every likelihood that you or someone nearby will end up in the emergency ward due to a snake bite.

Secondly you take the bag to the snake, NOT the snake to the bag. Instead of trying to lift the snake up into the bag you'll find it much simpler and safer to place the open end of the bag in front of the snake to provide it the opportunity to "escape" a frightening encounter by entering what it would consider a nice safe and secure hiding spot. You'll find this method much easier to bag a snake, especially something like a "Hot" Brown, than trying to lift it into a bag

Also take the time to learn to positively identify species that you are likely to encounter in your area and familiarize yourself with their preferred micro-habitat to provide it with the best opportunity to survive a new environment.

When releasing snake just be aware of the bio-dynamics of an area and never over populate a location by relocating snakes in the same area. Instead where possible and for the welfare of the snake try to relocate it back into or as close as possible to the area from where it has been removed.

Enjoy the experience but remember, wild snakes don't act anything like those used during courses so please do it safely.

Cheers,

George,
UD71gZB.png

no tailing :p I watched an old vid, lots of people trying to drag the snake to the bag with the snakes fleeing the opposite directions

Hi Herpetology,

Personally I don't have a lot of faith with any training course that profess to have trainers with the ability to teach people how to handle vens in just one or two days. In fact I've seen and heard of more people than I can remember doing these type of courses and set loose only to give the game away after one or two encounters with a hot wild snake. The art of snake catching confidently is something that takes experience gained over a lengthy period of time not just a couple of days.

RMTS actually cover tailing in their advanced handling course. To undertake this course it is a prerequisite to undertake their 2 day course which appears to only only cover a basic introduction for handling and bagging vens using a hook and hoop bag. So if you want to learn to tail then it'll set you back $940. Alternatively you can do a one day course for $320 but, as I'm sure you're aware, there's no way a newby is really going to learn how to handle hot vens doing a two day let alone one day course.

Cheers,

George.
UD71gZB.png

no tailing :p I watched an old vid, lots of people trying to drag the snake to the bag with the snakes fleeing the opposite directions

Hi Herpetology,

Personally I don't have a lot of faith with any training course that profess to have trainers with the ability to teach people how to handle vens in just one or two days. In fact I've seen and heard of more people than I can remember doing these type of courses and set loose only to give the game away after one or two encounters with a hot wild snake. The art of snake catching confidently is something that takes experience gained over a lengthy period of time not just a couple of days.

RMTS actually cover tailing in their advanced handling course. To undertake this course it is a prerequisite to undertake their 2 day course which appears to only only cover a basic introduction for handling and bagging vens using a hook and hoop bag. So if you want to learn to tail then it'll set you back $940. Alternatively you can do a one day course for $320 but, as I'm sure you're aware, there's no way a newby is really going to learn how to handle hot vens doing a two day let alone one day course.

Cheers,

George.
I had to redo mine a few years ago and did the RMTS multiday course at Ray's place. I've done a few over the years but this hands down the best one yet, Ray is a legend and 100% agree that no course will set you up for wild vens that move like liquid lightning. We've had a few staff do both RMTS courses now

Back