My New Olive - with pic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed her every 4 days in her enclosure :)

every 4 days is a little to often, cut it back to once a week at minimum, as she gets older feed her every 2 weeks, feeding her every 4 days is going to decrease her life span

There is a picture on here some where of someones adult olive that was obese!

When my olive hatchy starts feeding im only going to feed her every 10-14 days, I have read alot about how fatty olives can get if over fed.
I think it was olivehydra that had the pic of the olive? would you mind posting more olivehydra?

And also maybe you should start trying to feed her out of her enclosure as when shes bigger you wont want a cage defensive olive!! LOL
Cheers.

Try getting it feeding out of a feed box, Bites from adults hurt and as Ashleigh:] said you dont want a cage defensive Olive

I feed her every 4 days in her enclosure :)

This is Ambrees Dad. We have only fed her once since we've had her. She we will be fed once a week at a minimum and then every 10-14 days as she and her food get bigger..

The frozen rats we have for her at the moment may be a little small which is probably why Ambree said that she'll be fed every four days. That certainly would not have been ongoing. We have three rats left and then we'll go up a size.

We will most likely continue to feed her in her enclosure with tongs. She is removed from her enclosure using a hook. This is advice that we were given to help her distinguish between feed time and play time. Early days I know, but so far so good.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is our first snake and all well intentioned advice will be taken on board.

BTW - my daughter is only 13, so no more propositioning PM's or I'll name names and inform administrators.

Ashleigh:];787548 said:
There is a picture on here some where of someones adult olive that was obese!

When my olive hatchy starts feeding im only going to feed her every 10-14 days, I have read alot about how fatty olives can get if over fed.
I think it was olivehydra that had the pic of the olive? would you mind posting more olivehydra?

And also maybe you should start trying to feed her out of her enclosure as when shes bigger you wont want a cage defensive olive!! LOL
Cheers.

Might have been me. They get fat very easily (olives that is). The "long" pic is my girl who is overweight. She gets fed every 8 - 10 weeks if she is lucky. She has been on this diet for at least 2 years. My boy who died recently (the other pic) was much leaner and showed no fat lines. When he was cut open during postmortem the vet estimated that 20 - 30% of his 15kg was fat. I would not feed an olive every 10 - 14 days unless it was in its first year. jmo

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 60
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 55
I think it was you olivehydra, but it was a picture of your olive on an operating table??
Getting somethign taken out, from memory it was tongs??
Not sure though, might have been someone else.

Im probaly going to feed my olive every 14 days in her first year and as she gets bigger, make it less often.

Why are olives so good?
they are a very beautiful snake generally a really good natured snake calm and really easy to keep you should get one they are one of my favorite snakes must have in any collection by the way some relly nice pics guys and girls good luck with your new snake ambree

No matter what people say, olives are by far an awesum snake. They never refuse a feed lol. Well mine dont..........

Ashleigh:];789961 said:
SHE IS 11 YOU SICKO!

lol 13, still wrong, dont think her dads gonna be to happy with you krusty

Son holding him:

You mean "holding your son".;)

Olives are beautiful snakes. My 3rd and newest is a female Olive. Fussy little bugger to feed, but finally eating pinkie rats soaked in chicken blood/juice. She spends hours out-staring my Kelpie - drives the dog nuts. I will have to take a pic and post it.

You mean "holding your son".;)

Olives are beautiful snakes. My 3rd and newest is a female Olive. Fussy little bugger to feed, but finally eating pinkie rats soaked in chicken blood/juice. She spends hours out-staring my Kelpie - drives the dog nuts. I will have to take a pic and post it.
it is probably hard to feed cause it is always stressed out cause of the dog dont let the dog near her and she should start feeding better

it is probably hard to feed cause it is always stressed out cause of the dog dont let the dog near her and she should start feeding better

Seems to stress the dog more than the snake. She comes to the front of the glass when the dog is near. She has plenty of hide spots to use if she needs them. The dog never goes near the snakes when they are out of their enclosures. The other snakes all feed well and are relaxed. The Olive feeds well so long as the rats smell of chicken. I doubt the smell of chicken removes any stress. It seems more a case of the snake just doesn't like mice or rats and the smell of them doesn't trigger a feeding response.

In any case, if the snake is going to live in this house, it will have to get comfortable knowing a dog might look in the enclosure once in a while. If it can get used to me, it can can used to a dog.;)

Ashleigh:];787961 said:
I think it was you olivehydra, but it was a picture of your olive on an operating table??
Getting somethign taken out, from memory it was tongs??
Not sure though, might have been someone else.

Im probaly going to feed my olive every 14 days in her first year and as she gets bigger, make it less often.

yeah that was my female (same snake as the above pic).
yours feeding yet?

yeah that was my female (same snake as the above pic).
yours feeding yet?

No she isnt eating yet :|
Wrasse is coming over tomorrow morning to assist feed her though.
Which i am stoked about!
Will make me feel so much happier knowing that shes ate! well kinda LOL

Would you mind posting that picture of the snake on the op table please?
Cheers.

Ambree,

Good on you getting into snakes so early, and Ambree's dad, good on you for encouraging it...

Olives are gorgeous looking snakes and are certainly on my list for some time in the future, everyone I have spoken to with an Olive has nothing but praise for them and they are usually spoken of as their favourite snake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back