The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would bump the thread with a Neoregelia punctatissima 'Jao Marcio' x 'Night Spot' bloom. Im not out of plants yet. I just need to find time to do some resizeing.

IMG_0425.jpg

My old man busted me once for my gardening efforts when I was younger, I just stick to tomatoes these days :D That said I'm trying (so far successfully) to grow a frangipani here in Vic (Keep them on a Northern wall apparently as it attracts the most heat) :D

Last edited:
I LOOOOVE gardening. I am always adding new plants, changing things around. Here are a few snaps of my garden, and flowers at the moment..
An older photo of my front yard. The Sheena's Gold hedges are fair bit taller now, although some have received a hard cut back due to the frost burning the leaves over winter. Can just see tiny leaves starting to peek out.
002-4.jpg

My back corner garden is establishing well. The grevillea's and bottle brush are budding up, and the blue tongues love it. Only problem is I can't see them as well, anymore. Here are two shots - a younger, freshly planted garden where Bluey thinks I can't see him, and one I took just last week - definitely can't see them now :)
049-3.jpg

045-2.jpg

I did plant out my back fence with melaleuca's and other natives but they didn't thrive very well so I pulled them out and replaced with bengalow palms, there are two young grevillea's behind the palms, and a purple-leafed native called Cherry Surprise there and a banksia, too. It is doing well, always flowering.
044-3.jpg

And one along my shed - I did have a giant monsterio but cut it back to put an avairy there, for my snakes. I cried when I cut the monstereo down but it is still there and coming back nicely. So all that is left of my shed-side garden in my memorial garden for my German Shepherd dog who died a couple years back, of old age..
0424.jpg

And just some flowers I have out right now....
IMG_3962.jpg

041-5.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

0592.jpg

0132.jpg

006-7.jpg

Last but not least, a poor little fly trap I rescued from Big W, and bouganvillea which is now shooting new leaves after a hard cut back..
IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

I hope you don't me posting so many photos. Now I'll go back and admire all your beautiful gardens - weeds and all :D

I have one lone plant, but I think my wollemi pine is pretty cool and all per historic like

I did buy one of them but I should have kept it in a pot. I planted it in the ground and lost it. I guess, being a WA plant? the climate and ground soil here just was not right for it. You just reminded me, I have an empty pot, I might go buy another one :)

- - - Updated - - -

A few plants in my back yard.

Your back yard? Wow, will have to look that place up on Google Earth. Looks very red there

- - - Updated - - -

:Edit: i forgot to ad, dont water lithops during the winter. Just like all winter growers. and ill add another lithop. picture.

No problem im happy to help. Aloe and Echeveria are my favorite succulent Genuses. Iknow im a little late but i dug up a crappy pick of a mature plantlet growing on a leaf on my K. diagremontiana. I might as well post an Echeveria teaser.
View attachment 261980View attachment 262011View attachment 261979
Those middle plants look like bums

- - - Updated - - -

Errr I don't know what I did to make my photos come up 4 times - fixed it, I think :D

Last edited:
Aquatic gardening is my game. Aquascaping that is.

This is an old shot, this tank is much more mature now (maybe 2 months older?)
mountainscape_wip_flooded_wk_3_by_nazegoreng-d56rlj4.jpg

Here are a few more for today. If anyone wants some i.d's on any of my plants ive posted let me know. I lost some of the tags but i have a majority of them. I hope you all enjoy.

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

@Montey how did you get that Kalanchoe diagremontiana to grow so compact like that? What's its growing conditions, how much do you wator,etc?

Nice bunch of plants added peeps keep'm coming please :)

Kool orchid Jay, been thinking of getting a Cymbidium for the house for a while now.

Kathy is that a macrozamia? I had a cycas thouarsii in Sydney and was going well but once again Canberra is just to cold -5 last night here for the last night of winter.

Caliherp the blurry image is that a sempervivum arachnoideum? if is they look awesome in a mass planting.

Sad news one of the hosts of Gardening Australia program passed the other week.
Rip Colin Campbell I learnt some great tips from you mate.

Last edited:
@Montey how did you get that Kalanchoe diagremontiana to grow so compact like that? What's its growing conditions, how much do you wator,etc?
lol i have no idea what plant you are talking about however im guessing its my fave succulent lol i water them once a week....depending on the weather. They get part sun not full. Hubby is building me a greenhouse at the moment lol so exciting i have several baby succulents and broms potted up ready to move in.

yay i guessed right lol could u please tell me what the other one is ....looks like a small cabbage? i just added it to my pics above :)

The 1st one is Aeonium Zwartkop

The 2nd one your after the name looks to be some Echeveria possibly (Curly Locks) ?? Caliherp we need you :p

The 3rd one is Echeveria Black Prince again :)

nepenthes

• sarracenia
  • drosera filiformis
  • Drosera capensis Giant White
  • Drosera capensis
Showing pictures 1 to 8 of 8

The 1st one is Aeonium Zwartkop

The 2nd one your after the name looks to be some Echeveria possibly (Curly Locks) ?? Caliherp we need you :p

The 3rd one is Echeveria Black Prince again :)

You naild it. Heres the picture i ment to post.

IMG_0439.jpg

@Montysrainbow ist's now the third picture in row two. The reason i ask is because its grown really well and compact. I cant seeem to get them to grow that way to save my life.

- - - Updated - - -

nepenthes

• sarracenia
  • drosera filiformis
  • Drosera capensis Giant White
  • Drosera capensis
Showing pictures 1 to 8 of 8

Nice. Carnivorous plants are what got me into plants as a young kid. My first plant was a venus flytrap. Thoes plants were well fead. :twisted:

Last edited:
Hi caliherp , we were in the US in the 80's and did a bit of a trip to the carolina's to see the sarracenias in the wild ,so amazing to see them in their masses !! my first was a veus flytrap also ,bought in 1979 .I paid $45 for it and killed it in a month (it came from warm sunny QLD to cold wet NSW in the middle of winter and i have never wanted one since .:)

@ borntobnude I went throught my fare share of fly traps as a kid. Im glad they dident cost $45. They are what tought me trial and error with plants. They made me think about growing condidions etc. Wich is what every gardener learns sooner or later.Sence then ive had a green thumb for the most part. Here are a few cool bugs i have found in my plants the last couple of days.

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of Aloe spikes i thought were cool.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Does any one know how hard it would be and how much it would cost to ship plands to Australia from the US and visa versa?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back