My poor neighbours were attacked!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I live in an appartment block, between another two appartment blocks with three directly behind as well. Talk about high density living. I do my best to beautify the place, put in a veggie patch, removing old scragly plants and putting in some fresh new greenery. Managed to get body corporate to not rip up all the old brickwork and concrete paths because there are several Blueys living in/under/among the existing gardens and i didn't want them hurt or displaced. Anyway, so they're starting to wake up again, seeing them about the place, there were babies last year too so i'm hoping to see some more this year. Anyway to the point...

Heard some neighbours in the block next door SCREAMING. And i'm not talking about a couple of shouts, yells or otherwise. They were straight up SCREAMING (lots of swearing and running about as well) so, me being nosey took a look out the window that looks over their garden to see what's going on. I see them standing behind their security door, cameras in hand, taking photos of something shouting WHAT IS IT WHAT IS IT OMG! Anyway, me being me, wandered outside to call over the fence 'you alright?' They shouted back that there was a reptile of some kind in their garden. Now, they sounded genuinely terrified so i took a look over the fence just in case it was something potentially dangerous or that would be better off getting relocated. You guessed it, there was a gorgeous Blue Tongue cruising it's way around their garden. Just told them to leave it be all that i'd be over in a tick to 'get rid of it for them'. Grabbed a towel to save getting nipped and grabbed the little dude (with far more screaming from the residents than was really needed but i appreciated the moderate excitement and calls of 'it's like steve irwin!") heh. spent a minute telling them that is was a bluey, completely harmless, eats insects and plants from their garden, they were just waking up from brumation and looking for food and sunshine, nothing to be afraid of, etc. let them take some photos then moved him back to where he belongs. i checked my photos from last year and he was indeed one from my place so i knew i wasn't taking him away from his home and made sure i blocked up the hole in their fence that he obviously used to go exploring. Then invited them over to see my 'pet's which was HILARIOUS! The woman was taken by the dragons and had some photos but i couldn't even convince the fellow to come inside my unit block because i told him about the snakes. Good to take such opportunities to educate people and turn fear into interest so i felt like those few minutes were well spent. Left them with the knowledge that if they ever saw anything else again to knock on my door so i could deal with it for them and the number of a couple of people locally to contact if i'm not available. (never seen more than carpets and tree snakes here mind you)

No thread like this is complete without a photo or two, here's the culprit!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Beautiful looking little critter, and congrats on trying to educate, we need more people like you in this world.

As I was reading, I was expecting a tragic ending to your story....

I have memories of idiot friends killing a legless lizard thinking it was a "deadly" snake.

encounter a blue tongue and you will surely taste death,unless you wrap it in a towel that will leave it powerless for mischief

bet you where expecting something more Godzilla sized by the sound of the screams.

Absolutely! I was thinking something like a ven! Pretty pleased i was able to bridge a gap with those guys though and make them a little less frightened and a little more curious :)

And SnakePimp, there was a towel involved i can assure you! I'm a big wuss when it comes to getting tagged or nipped and i didn't want to risk not getting a clean capture and pushing him out onto the road. Aside from that i didn't want the people there thinking it was 'no biggie' to just go messing with native reptiles and risk either them or any reptiles getting injured. I did mention that while they are perfectly harmless they can still deliver a painful nip!

Love the story. That is really cool

I was always told blueys don't have teeth, so when I got one into care when I was with FAWNA, I stuck my hand in his mouth to see how hard gums can hurt. He DOES HAVE TEETH. Then I found myself trying to convince him to let go ... lol

Love the story. That is really cool

I was always told blueys don't have teeth, so when I got one into care when I was with FAWNA, I stuck my hand in his mouth to see how hard gums can hurt. He DOES HAVE TEETH. Then I found myself trying to convince him to let go ... lol

Whoops! They sure can hurt if they get you across the nail!

- - - Updated - - -

Good job haha
he looks very thin for his size

Just waking up after a long brumation, and being a wild animal, i'm not surprised! I'm always tempted to leave extra salad from my veggie patches (which are caged to protect them from possums and turkeys) lying around for these guys but i always convince myself not to. They survive all on their own without my help, if i start feeding them now their numbers might jump and then i'd have to keep on looking after them because the gardens here won't be able to support any more without my supplementation. They're in good enough condition to breed as is evidenced by babies the past two years so i'm not worried about them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back