Carpet Python Eggs from Parthenogenisis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessAndNagini

Reaction score
Hey there,

My South West carpet python has just produced her second clutch asexually through parthenogensis. We have had her since she was a baby, never had her mated, and do not own any other snakes. Nor has she escaped before.
The first clutch I gave to a snake breeder to take care of, only 4 hatched out of 15, and then all died shortly afterwards due to defects and not being strong enough to hold their own body weight.

The snake breeder sent the deceased young away for lab testing and the results were consistent with parthenogenic traits.

Less than two years later she has had a second clutch, but less eggs this time. She hasn't eaten in 3 months and is still refusing to eat. I removed the eggs and put them under a heat lamp in a container with a moist environment set at about 32 degrees. However I am wondering if I should put the eggs back so she can incubate them herself? As most aren't likely to hatch/survive and I would rather care for the health of my snake because she is so skinny right now and I want to do what is best for her.

If I put the eggs back so she can incubate them, how often should I add moisture to the organic pellets they are sitting on in the container?
If I keep the eggs away from her, I have read to clean out her entire enclosure, so I will do this if that is the best option.

This will be my first time taking care of the eggs so any other advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

Attachments

• Nagini with second clutch of eggs.jpeg
    Nagini with second clutch of eggs.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
get a small incubator / esky setup with heatcord running at 29c
put eggs into a container with vermiculite/ water at a 1g:0.8ml ratio and then put container into esky

theyll take 60+days to hatch
if u incubate them too hot theyre more likely to hatch whacky - if you incubate them slightly cooler, they'll take longer but are usually bigger and stronger

Last edited:
I would incubate as Herpetology said, do not put the eggs back with mother, since you are worried about her condition and she probably won't eat while trying to hatch the eggs

Back