Green tree Python heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueIris

Reaction score
I have a yearling gtp who is about 90cm in length now and super green and he likes to perch on the cooler side of the enclosure. His enclosure is a 60x40x60 living vivarium with a humidity of 85% most of the day and then dries out towards night time. The thermostat had the heat panel set up to 31degrees with a 4 degree gradient. And the cooler side of the enclosure is 26degrees with a 3 degree gradient. But he seems to like the cooler side. I have lowered the Warmer side to a 29 in case it was too warm for him but he still doesn't seem to want to perch there as much as the cooler side. Should this concern me? He's always active at night though as if the lack of warmth doesn't effect him. He will wander to the warmer side at night though but that's about it.

Can an someone help me out? Thanks

No, it's of no concern at all. Snakes are individuals, some might want to stay a bit warmer, others not. Sounds like the temps are fine - just because the temperature reading at a weather station in GTP country records maxima, minima & averages, it doesn't mean that a GTP would choose to live in the weather station box - they find their niches to stay comfortable & stable during the day, them move around at night when it's generally cooler. The preferred daytime temps in the niche probably bear little relation to the weather station records in any direct sense. His niche just happens to be at the cooler end of the enclosure, but you must leave the warm end as it is so that he has choice if he wants to change to a warmer spot occasionally.

Jamie

Have you thought about bigger enclosure? The one he is in now seems to me bit small for a nearly 1 metre long snake. I would double the size. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back