Stimson python shutting down already?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
My 2 year old stimmie stopped eating about a month ago.
He has eaten perfectly every 7 - 12 days up until then.
Nothing has changed in his environment.
I wonder whether it is just shutting down early for the cool.... it hasn't been cool here in QLD though.

Adding on to this question, he still sits at the front of his cage where I usually open the door and let him slide out. I must admit I'm worried if I do that now he will be hungry and take a chomp on me. Is this silly or perhaps a possibility.

If hes not eating, hes not likely to take a chomp of ur hand, some boys do go off the bite earlier than usual. As long as he looks healthy with bright eyes, shiny skin and good muscle tone you have nothing to worry about. He will let you know when he's hungry

My male just refused a feed a few days ago, the nights are getting cooler even though the days are still hot. I will keep offering every 1-2 weeks for another month or so in case he wants another feed before winter.

Perfectly normal, I have some males that stop eating late December - early January every year, and they won't start up again till September, even most of my females (Antaresia) have stopped by now.

I have a male stimmi who always goes off his food between Feb/March, even if there's no real change in the weather. I didn't breed him last year so he wasn't cooled at all but he still refused to eat from March til September.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Should I still offer to him once a fortnight or do you think there is no point

My male childrens as well as male stimmys seem to have stopped. Not all male childrenni though

As yet my Spotties have not started shutting down, but that does not mean anything as they did not shut down at all last year, Keep trying for the next few weeks to get him to feed, try leaving the food item in the enclosure overnight, you should get some signs that it is starting to shut down by it's level of activity, as long as it looks to have good condition it will be fine not eating for 6 months or more.....good luck. :) ........................Ron

All of my male Antaresia bar one have stopped eating, along with 2 of my females.

The animals that have stopped eating have started cruising continuously - particularly the boys which is pretty normal activity for them once they start to cool and get love on their minds.

I had a pair of my Wheatbelts locked almost immediately after being placed together about 4 weeks ago and spent the majority of the next 2 weeks locked. Cheeky buggers couldn't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back