Stimson's python has a vet appointment on Sunday for RI symptoms. Try to feed or leave it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhouse

Reaction score
Hi all, so my stimson's python Romeo has recently started displaying signs of a respiratory infection (wheezing) as well as strange behaviour. When I picked him up to handle him today he held on extremely tight to my hand and is still doing so now. This is weird because normally when I handle him all he wants to do is get off me, now he refuses to get off. Every part of his body that is touching my hand, including his head/neck area, he is pushing into me as hard as he can. It's similar to how he held on the one time he bit me (food bite) so I'm wondering if he thinks he's eating me? He also squeezes harder whenever I move (also similar to his food bite), and his eyes are pointing in different directions which I haven't seen before.
He also seems uncoordinated, he keeps sitting in the exact same spot for a full minute or two before repositioning in a way that is not normal to him. He seems to be struggling to move in any certain direction. This is just my guess though.

I've already scheduled a vet appointment ASAP which is Sunday. If anyone has experience or knowledge of these kinds of symptoms the information is greatly appreciated, but my main question is whether i should try to feed him, as he's due for a feed. There's technically enough time to avoid regurgitation, but would it help his condition at all?
Thank you in advance.

Hi all, so my stimson's python Romeo has recently started displaying signs of a respiratory infection (wheezing) as well as strange behaviour. When I picked him up to handle him today he held on extremely tight to my hand and is still doing so now. This is weird because normally when I handle him all he wants to do is get off me, now he refuses to get off. Every part of his body that is touching my hand, including his head/neck area, he is pushing into me as hard as he can. It's similar to how he held on the one time he bit me (food bite) so I'm wondering if he thinks he's eating me? He also squeezes harder whenever I move (also similar to his food bite), and his eyes are pointing in different directions which I haven't seen before.
He also seems uncoordinated, he keeps sitting in the exact same spot for a full minute or two before repositioning in a way that is not normal to him. He seems to be struggling to move in any certain direction. This is just my guess though.

I've already scheduled a vet appointment ASAP which is Sunday. If anyone has experience or knowledge of these kinds of symptoms the information is greatly appreciated, but my main question is whether i should try to feed him, as he's due for a feed. There's technically enough time to avoid regurgitation, but would it help his condition at all?
Thank you in advance.
No don't feed, wait for vet's advice

I hope the vet finds some easy explanation and that he gets back to normal.

I have an update! There was no signs of an RI at the vet visit, but there was some inflammation on his lip. It was too small to get a sample of so he's on a round of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics to see if that addresses it. I'm thinking the inflammation is probably an injury from when he climbs all the way up his enclosure's doors and falls over but we'll see. His behaviour is also back to normal so he was probably just feeling weird that day or something.
I'll update again on after follow-up app. but I'm feeling optimistic!
Edit: Also the vet says feed as normal so he got to have his dinner. It was a small dinner though to lower the risk of regurgitation

Last edited:
Back