Mites or something serious?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani161

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 10 year old coastal (11in Feb 2024).
We tried to feed him a 800gram rabbit in September however it was too big for him and he didn’t eat it. A week or so after we started to notice he was soaking himself in his water bowl which he doesn’t normally do. Had a quick search on the internet and it sounded like mites. Bought some Frontline (fipronil) and sprayed some on some gloves and rub a thin layer down his body, cleaned out his enclosure and put he back in 24hrs later. He now seems to be having little tremors (will load a video). Took him to a reptile vet on Friday and she couldn’t see any mites but says they could be biting him causing the tremors/flinching. She injected him with Ivomec and has advised he will need another two shots (2weeks between each shot). I’m not 100% sure it’s mites. Any one experienced anything like this before?
View attachment IMG_5599.mov
View attachment IMG_5596.mov

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a 10 year old coastal (11in Feb 2024).
We tried to feed him a 800gram rabbit in September however it was too big for him and he didn’t eat it. A week or so after we started to notice he was soaking himself in his water bowl which he doesn’t normally do. Had a quick search on the internet and it sounded like mites. Bought some Frontline (fipronil) and sprayed some on some gloves and rub a thin layer down his body, cleaned out his enclosure and put he back in 24hrs later. He now seems to be having little tremors (will load a video). Took him to a reptile vet on Friday and she couldn’t see any mites but says they could be biting him causing the tremors/flinching. She injected him with Ivomec and has advised he will need another two shots (2weeks between each shot). I’m not 100% sure it’s mites. Any one experienced anything like this before?
View attachment 335767
View attachment 335768

I spoke to a Snake expert today and he has given me a reputable Vet to take him/her to and he will be able to give a correct diagnosis. I'm booked in for Wednesday so I'll update and let you all know what is causing these horrible tremors.

Update - went to The Unusual Vet in Jindalee and got her (final know her sex) bloods done. Results show:
Electrolyte- high - (possibly dehydration or kidney problems)
Calcium - slightly high - (possibly reproductive changes or kidney problems)
Protein levels- high (possibly dehydration or kidney problems)
I now have her booked in for an ultrasound on Tuesday to check her Kidneys. Fingers crossed that with increasing the heat time in her enclosure and proper Veterinarian care she will be back to her usual self soon.

Last edited:
Back