2 metre redbelly?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
the dodgy newspaper report of two metre redbelly got me thinking, people are always speaking of 6 foot or the slightly longer 2m red belly, but has anyone actually got a pet one this big... or at least reliably measured a wild one this long?

Yeah I was a little dubious when I read that, especially from the picture. My guess is the reporter got on Google and looked for the the maximum length for a RBB and decided that that's how long it was

Jack, I didn't measure these ones but they would be pretty close. The man was 180cm tall.
I gave them to George Cann, they were stars at La Parouse for a while. Circa 1970

Is that you in the pics michael? I saw one around my are that would have been around 2m but i didn't measure it though.

nice. i have one of me somewhere with a 170cm monster, but my cargo pants are not as cool as those jeans being that it was the 90's!

someone must have a 2m pet, as so many people see them that big in the wild???

According to a field guide of mine they average 1.8m so surely there must be a few close to 2m.

I have also seen one that was easily 2m up in Bundaberg

Lol there is ment to be a 2m red belly at our horse paddock ( according to my dear wife ) but everyday I look , n everyday I see nothing ? lol will let u know if I see it though :) and if it really us 2m long

The biggest "pet" red-belly I have ever seen was owned by the late Charles Tanner of Cooktown. It was huge and although it was in captivity for a long time, it was incredibly aggressive. Has anyone else seen it? Charles kept in in one of those concrete round pits outside his house.

biggest I've seen was in the wild, was only about 1.5 meters though I think. (and i tend to guess bigger than actual size too)

I just saw the story on TV. The snake catcher was catching it it looked like it was less than 1m long

Nice one Baz, thanks for sharing:)!

What an old warhorse, gotta admire these old guys!! (Yes, I was referring to the snake).

I have also seen one that was easily 2m up in Bundaberg

I do relocations in Childers, just south of Bundy, and my biggest Red Belly was 1.7m, was a great deflater of the "snakes don't like diesel" myth as she was in a shipping tank full of barrels of biodiesel. Caught plenty around the 1.5m mark too, and most of the field guides claim them as reaching 2.5m, so no doubt there are monsters out there.

I read the story in the daily telegraph today,apparently red belly black snakes can scratch cars.But he did own a senator lol.Maybe teeth marks from being jammed in the door?

A few battle scars on that one Baz.

This one is Tony Harrison's own rbb, don't know if he still has him or not, but it's the
biggest I've ever seen...mid-body would be an average man's forearm width and it
would easily exceed 2 metres in length...

View attachment 188809

I wrote a 30,000 document on Black snakes and during research i found one reliable record of a 2.54m individual. I would catch more red bellies than just about anyone in sydney and i have measured them all and the biggest has been about 1.6 m,but one of our customers has showed me a picture of a hefty one that lives next to an RSL club i would like to catch and measure it has quite a girth.
I have no doubt that they can reach 2m,but funny thing i have had 2 brown snakes this season that exceed 1.8 m in length but are not as robust as bigger red bellies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back