2 questions. click clack to enclosure and glass vs wood

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jezza11

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Firstly just want to say I did a search. Tho I am on my phone so was hard to do. I apologise if this has been asked heaps.

First question. When is a good age or size to move a cape York from tub to small enclosure.

Second question. I understand wood is better due to insulation is better. Is there any other reasons why wood is better.
Does anyone believe glass is better.

Thankyou all
Jeremy

From what other people have told me, a python can stay from hatchy to yearling in a click-clack.

Ok Thankyou. My Lil one is only 10 months old. So I was going to leave her for a few months yet.

The term "Cape York" is a little ambiguous, as it could refer to either jungles or macs.

To answer your question though, I don't think there is any set time when you should do it. When you feel that your animal feels comfortable and safe in it's environment (and husbandry is sound eg. eating/shedding/pooping/etc.) would be a good time to do the transfer, so say at yearling. My 9mo Childreni I feel is more than ready to take the plunge, we just have to get the new enclosure sorted as it will be her "life" housing.

As for the wood vs glass. A lot of people feel that their animals feel safer in a wooden enclosure because there is only one "window", and a lot of people will actually cover all the sides (bar the front) of their glass terrariums for this reason, as well as insulation.

Thank you that's the kind of response I was after

Wood has lower thermal conductivity than glass.
Which means heat doesn't travel through it as easily.
Less energy needed to keep ideal temps.

About the only thing glass has going for it is that it is non-flammable.

Depends on how cold the room with the enclosure gets. A glass tank can easily be insulated though with a bit of aquarium backing and thin styrofoam sheeting. I haven't used the foam and I have had no issues with temps. If I go away for a few days in winter I hang a 'curtain over the front of the tank to make sure it stays warm as the room gets cold but I am in a rather cold part of the country. If you live somewhere like Cairns it probably wouldn't even be an issue.

There are pics of my setup on my profile so you can see what I mean. I used a glass tank because I had one already so it cost me virtually nothing to set it up otherwise I owuld probably have used wood to build one. The next enclosure for my Mac will be timber because of the size I want to make it and the look I want to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back