6ft Rock background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitors_R_Us

Reaction score
So i have recently finished building a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft melamine enclosure and fully set it up. ATM it looks amazing but is just missing a background in my opinion. Instead of spending up to $600 dollars on one from a petshop i would like to try and make one myself.

Here is my plans so far:

Make structure from polystyrene ( foam from packaging ) glues together by liquid nails.
Cover in a common grout.
Cover in render. - repeated 3-4 times.
Last coat is acrylic, non toxic paint with render and pva glue?

Would this information be correct or am i totally wrong.
Please help thanks.

You've got the right idea, thats the general plan with custom diy backgrounds. Whats it for?

You've got the right idea, thats the general plan with custom diy backgrounds. Whats it for?

A hatchy monitor. I might add i am buying all the supplies from bunnings so if people could recommend paint/grout/render brands i would be very happy.

Also if anyone has any large rock backgrounds completed, pictures would be nice ;)

for render id use the dunlop brand , its really fine and mixes up great , i used one of the other brands before that and it just didnt mix as easily

i just pre purchased coloured grout and worked for me
Did you paint over it or leave the grout color?

- - - Updated - - -

for render id use the dunlop brand , its really fine and mixes up great , i used one of the other brands before that and it just didnt mix as easily
Thanks Thomasssss, i am starting to get a bit confused now but is the render the sealant or used instead of grout?

Did you paint over it or leave the grout color?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Thomasssss, i am starting to get a bit confused now but is the render the sealant or used instead of grout?
render is to replace grout which for a monitor id use render as its cement better for claws :)

a quick summary of how ive done it myself

foam to give it shape , then cement (render) few layers until you can tap it firmly all over with out any cracking don't try that until you've got a decent amount of layers down

you might also need to shape some of the render after its gone on as it doesn't exactly make itself look like you want it 2 i used a hack saw blade snapped in half to make it easier for tight spaces be careful if you try to snap one though i put mine in a vice then snapped it with pliers

with the whole paint in the last few layers thing , what that means is to buy the acrylic powder that goes with the render it comes in a variety of colours id recommend that as it looks alot more natural than all paint ,i used all paint on my last build and didn't like it

then you can add a bit of paint to try to high light areas theres a good thread on it somewhere in the diy section but i cant remember the name of it

then once your happy with it you seal it , different people use different stuff but i like going for one of the pond sealers that is safe for fish , that way done properly water should be able to get into and will just beed and roll off making cleaning alot easier

render is to replace grout which for a monitor id use render as its cement better for claws :)

a quick summary of how ive done it myself

foam to give it shape , then cement (render) few layers until you can tap it firmly all over with out any cracking don't try that until you've got a decent amount of layers down

you might also need to shape some of the render after its gone on as it doesn't exactly make itself look like you want it 2 i used a hack saw blade snapped in half to make it easier for tight spaces be careful if you try to snap one though i put mine in a vice then snapped it with pliers

with the whole paint in the last few layers thing , what that means is to buy the acrylic powder that goes with the render it comes in a variety of colours id recommend that as it looks alot more natural than all paint ,i used all paint on my last build and didn't like it

then you can add a bit of paint to try to high light areas theres a good thread on it somewhere in the diy section but i cant remember the name of it

then once your happy with it you seal it , different people use different stuff but i like going for one of the pond sealers that is safe for fish , that way done properly water should be able to get into and will just beed and roll off making cleaning alot easier
Thanks going to re-read over this a few times but this was just what i needed. Can you buy the powder paint to chuck into the render mix from bunnings as i will be trying to get everything from there. TBH i know it will not turn out perfectly firt go but i have seen a few first attempts in archives turn out kind of glossy/shiny which looks terrible IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Also is pondite a good sealer?

if you can find bondall pondtite go with that as its fine but ive also used crommelin(spelling) pondsealer fine basically the same stuff but it didnt seem to go as far as pondtite imo

the acrylic powder was in the same place as the pond sealer at my local bunnings , you want to start adding it to the last few layers other wise your just kinda wasting it in the first few layers as it wont really be showing in the end

with the glossy thing thats kinda the problem with any good sealer , they make it kinda glossy ive found that a smooth surface will turn out alot more glossy than a rough one so try to avoid to many perfectly smooth surfaces also you have to think that alot of that gloss in the pictures is created by the flash of the camera

if you can find bondall pondtite go with that as its fine but ive also used crommelin(spelling) pondsealer fine basically the same stuff but it didnt seem to go as far as pondtite imo

the acrylic powder was in the same place as the pond sealer at my local bunnings , you want to start adding it to the last few layers other wise your just kinda wasting it in the first few layers as it wont really be showing in the end

with the glossy thing thats kinda the problem with any good sealer , they make it kinda glossy ive found that a smooth surface will turn out alot more glossy than a rough one so try to avoid to many perfectly smooth surfaces also you have to think that alot of that gloss in the pictures is created by the flash of the camera
thanks again for all this help, i will be heading to bunnings tomorrow and i will let you know how it all goes. Any photos of yours by any chance?

hey monitors just one more suggestion after you put the pond sealer on and it dries you do need a couple of coats so after the final coat just use a very fine sandpaper or steel wool and go over your finished job it just takes a bit of the sheen off so looks much better i have used this method and turned out fine...oh one last thing with the render after i have applied it and it starts to go off i dab it with a dry sponge it roughs up the surface of the render hope this helps.....:D

hey monitors just one more suggestion after you put the pond sealer on and it dries you do need a couple of coats so after the final coat just use a very fine sandpaper or steel wool and go over your finished job it just takes a bit of the sheen off so looks much better i have used this method and turned out fine...oh one last thing with the render after i have applied it and it starts to go off i dab it with a dry sponge it roughs up the surface of the render hope this helps.....:D
Thanks smiley but when you say go over finished job with steel wool is that with paint or more pond sealer? What do you mean by the render goes off? sorry for the questions also any photos

no photos at the moment i just made some hides..render is cement render as it starts to dry this means its going off...and the steel wool is for the pond sealer it should be painted before the pond sealer the paint or oxide is mixed in with your render....or i have found a pond sealer that is a sandstone colour this way i have not had to worry about the shine as this pond sealer does not have this problem then i can just paint it with a non toxic paint....:D

no photos at the moment i just made some hides..render is cement render as it starts to dry this means its going off...and the steel wool is for the pond sealer it should be painted before the pond sealer the paint or oxide is mixed in with your render....or i have found a pond sealer that is a sandstone colour this way i have not had to worry about the shine as this pond sealer does not have this problem then i can just paint it with a non toxic paint....:D
ohhh haha thanks, any chance of that pond sealers name?

pics

the brand is pondtite comes in different colours and clear and there is also another brand called cromellens not sure if thats the right spelling....

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 268325View attachment 268326View attachment 268327hey monitors just did a quick seal on my enclosure with pondtite sandstone colour only needs one coat as it is like paint clear pondtite is like water so a couple of coats is needed now i just finish the whole thing then paint to suit the look of a cave...:D

Attachments

• DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0219.jpg
    DSC_0219.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
the brand is pondtite comes in different colours and clear and there is also another brand called cromellens not sure if thats the right spelling....

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 268325View attachment 268326View attachment 268327hey monitors just did a quick seal on my enclosure with pondtite sandstone colour only needs one coat as it is like paint clear pondtite is like water so a couple of coats is needed now i just finish the whole thing then paint to suit the look of a cave...:D

thanks bud ! yeah i can see no gloss here, looks very good, i have started mine, just finished making the structure from the poly and liquid nails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back