An interesting point of view

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive -- the risk to be alive and express what we really are."
Don Miguel Ruiz

"Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd."
Bertrand Russell
"There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings."
Dorothy Thompson
The hens they all cackle, the roosters all beg,​
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.​
For I hear all the talk of pollution and war​
As the people all shout and the airplane roar,​
So I'm staying in here where it's safe and it's warm,​
And I WILL NOT HATCH!​
Shel Silverstein​

I see. So nothing to fear but fear itself.

IsK

I had put my name up on google and I found everyone with my name was doing what I want to do or they are really successful - that was a blue day :(

I had put my name up on google and I found everyone with my name was doing what I want to do or they are really successful - that was a blue day :(

Thy future is in thy own hands....no one elses.

Or as Marcus Aurelius says "Be satisfied with your business, and learn to love what you are bred to; and as to the remainder of your life, be entirely resigned, and let the gods do their pleasure."

Thanks for the link to the video. It reminded me of something my East German aunty said when I visited her last year. She met me at the train station, which is full of cameras, and she told me that nothing's changed since Germany reunited, it's just that now the surveillance equipment is out in the open.

Dorothy Thompson: When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.

Goethe:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.

Henry David Thoreau:
Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.

(my fave quote for Hicks)

Hermann Goering: Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

-my favourite quotes on this issue

Do you really think we have a problem in Australia with 'Big Brother' (1984 style not crap channel 10 style) when we can't even get our hospitals, public heath or schools funded properly? Listening to our calls and reading our email to stop crime???? I can't even get the cops to come around when my car gets broken into? Or is this in the US where they can't even help there own people when disarsters like Cy Katrina come along?

Or is that where all the money is going?
A question not a statement Mr Bush........

the australia card, and the ability to arrest and etain without evidence clearly are not representative of a big brother state....

and wanting to send people that question the moral majrity into war zones "to be rid of them"..... i think i read that in a book somewhere... it was named after a year.....

1984 was the book, and a b grade movie with William Hurt I think.

the australia card

I didn't live here in the 80s, so I just had to go look up some background info. Yeah, the card they proposed then and the health services card they're proposing now = scary. I don't really see the problem with a straight-up national ID card system though, because not everyone has a driver's licence or proof of age card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back