Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michae62

Reaction score
My question is are these all real types because a lot of these look very similar.
Broome , Cloncurry, Dajarra, DE-GREY, Flinders, Gammon ranges, Georgetown , Gascoyne, Geraldton, Gulf of Carpentaria, Indee Station, MacDonnell Ranges, Marble bar desert phase, Neonate, Normington Gulf, Northern South Australia, Nungarin, Pilbara, Port Headland, Quobba station, Sandfire, Tenant creek, Tiboburra, Wheatbelt, Wheatbelt three tone, Windorah.
Would be great here what others think.

Last edited:
I'd say most of them are:

neonate is the age of a python
Marble bar desert phase = never heard of it
Wheatbelt three tone is another that's new to me but it's a morph with wheatbelt being the locale
Nungarin ????

They all have subtle difference but yes granted most would look similar

They just about all refer to different locales or origin of the lines. Animals from different locales can look very similar in some cases if not indistinguishable. While in other cases certain locales are quite unique.

Thanks for the input as I realy like Stimsons I have a pair of Winorahs and will slowly add some more in time because thay very interresting types.

Depending on your view of their taxonomy, the species Antaresia stimsoni is comprised of two sub species - Antaresia stimsoni stimsoni from the western half of WA and Antaresia stimsoni orientalis found throughout the rest of the species range. This means that Stimson's from western WA will look very different to ones from the rest of the country. On top of that snakes from different locations and ecosystems will evolve differences in colour and pattern to suit their needs, so different populations of snakes from the same species (or sub species) will sometimes look different from each other, even when they occur in the same part of the country. This is why A.stimsoni really needs closer evaluation as their home range and the variation between populations is huge, which probably means there are more sub species out there yet to be described.

There are no Stimsons from Normington or the Gulf of Carpentaria. There are only childreni in these areas. The only place where Stimsons are on the coast is in WA. Also, the ones found in Mt Isa and Cloncurry are actually intergrades between Stimsons and Childreni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back