Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There used to be a spot in Carindale area where you could find native Rhads but due to development, the water they were in was destroyed and they are no longer there :(
They were really nice metalic blue ones too :(

That place also had purple spotted gudgeons.

my school breeds fish heaps clown fish there mine southern purple spotted gudgeon cichlich etc

Pinoy I used to catch them down there to, it was nice there before they developed it there were realy big gold fish in there to.

In the lakes near Medowlands Park.

I miss going around looking for native fish.

Have you ever been to Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island?

THey have some beautiful red Rhads at rainbow beach and all kinds of nice rainbows at Fraser in all the lakes there.

But you're not allowed to take them....

Yes I know there is that little creek before you get to rainbow beach It's called Seary's creek and the Rhads there are a
locality (Seary's Creek Rainbows) I'd love to take photos of them as the water is cristal clear there.

Rhadinocentrus20ornatus20-20Searys20Ck20red20tail20Leo_0005sml.jpg

I found a photo of one.

Squirtle heres a diagram of a refugium filter for the marine tank.
244_sump_diagram.jpg

imagesCAMBNT9F.jpg

Last edited:
I used to keep rainbows, there is such variety in local creeks.

i-SWRFvrQ-M.jpg

i-Rz7mQz2-M.jpg
i-NJ2sWFk-M.jpg
I love the fish but the way you have set up he aquaria is really superb. A small slice of nature reproduced in a tank - great to look at, and great for the fish. It shows a deep-seated 'feel' for nature. Really well done!

Blue

well I couldn't hold back... I saw a long finned batface sw fish yesterday and got a sw tank today all setup with a few fish. my only issues is where to put it ikes....

IMG-20120608-00182.jpg

IMG-20120608-00174.jpg

IMG-20120608-00180.jpg

IMG-20120608-00181.jpg

Sorry for the phone images ! u cant really see well but its pretty amazing. Very different from F/W I even find these little fish are not scared of people like some F/W fish and are very playful + the colors are amazing! also got this one guy who lives under the sand :S

The filter is an all in one system, with skimmer and wet/dry in one + a HOB power head thing. over all loving it apart for the faulty power head that gave me electrical shocks 3 times in a row xD I was like WHATS THAT FEELING OWWWIEE haha lets try that again OWWWWIEEEEE ok no more OWWWWIEEE :D I am an idiot !

Last edited:
Thats good squirtle I had to go to the air port today to pick up a male scrub python it come down from townsville
so I'v put the fishtanks on hold got to build more cages. :D

Those clown fish come from dawin harbor I used to have them, there nice litle fish.

Last edited:
Ah do you know what they are called? he did not give me names! I got a yellow racoon I believe? some little blueish fish and some weird looking pretty one with 4 fins kind of!

How big is your scrub? My olive had a go at me today :( meanie lol very cage defensive once out its fine but dam she bites fast!!!

on a side note, someone said because of the shocks I have to go to the DR as I may "drop dead" in a week? true or lies?

Last edited:
I cant remember the names of them, but I got them because there not the same old orange ones.
What shocks are you talking about.

Amphiprion ocellaris aka "black and white ocellaris" that form is found primarily in the vicinity of Darwin harbor as Jason said. Most these days in the hobby are captive bred.
When you said raccoon did you mean a raccoon butterflyfish?
Do you know what sort of baitfish you have? Some are ridiculously hard to keep.
If you post pictures of the other fish I can tell you what they are.
Cheers andrew

If you only set up that tank today then be ready for huge ammonia and nitrite spikes over the next few weeks. Be prepared for massive water changes to keep the levels down or you will have a tank full of dead fish.
it can be done but you really shouldn't set up a marine aquarium and stock it on the same day unless you really know what you are doing.

Aren't they all long Jason? I know mine are.

And I meant batfish not baitfish. Stupid predict text!

As for the shocks, mostly lies. If it was going to kill you it will happen straight away unless you have underlying health issues.
i have been shocked by fish tanks far too many times for comfort.

Last edited:
Thanks butters I will get to it tomorrow, really sleepy! I have tried with the help of some sites and believe I have the following..

Racoon butterfly (yellowish)

Long Nose butterfly

Niger Trigger

Banana Wrasse( think this is the guy in the sand )

Neon damsels 3 or so.

I plan to add the long finned bat face this week, I understand they are very hard to keep but it seems its more a feeding issues over being a weak fish.

Also looking into dwarf lion fish, fire angels and dorys. Dont think lions will work.

The tank was a mates, he had to move so offered it to me, stripped it down put all the water in barrels then reset it all up at mine. So its fully cycled. I was considering going salt. he had to sell his setup due to moving so all worked out well. apart for the dam shocks first time lol.

Ah you edited ;) The batfish is a Red face batfish. The owner said normally he would say no but this one is really good at feeding. One thing I dont get is everyone says u can stock sw tanks a bit heavier due to the live rock being bio media also, how true is this? Like I plan on upgrading but how many fish would you guys think is safe? do I treat it like a fw tank ?

You got that right Butters, good point with the amonia to the clown fish should be fine I used to use them to prepair my
water very srong fish have, you got a protien skimer squirtle.

loving this thread.
I love native, tropical AND live salt water reef.
Looks like there is tons of work with the salt water set ups.

Yes yes Jason, The canister looking thing I linked has a skimmer built into it also its known as a all in S/W system apparently I can even go coral with it but will be limited.

99.9% sure the tank is fine All the fish were acting normal as soon as put them in, the racoon butterfly had a bit of a hizzy fit in the bag but soon as put him into the tank was fine. I guess I should test the water tomorrow just to be safe.

Not true. If anything they should be stocked much lighter.
if you just moved that tank not set up a new then you may be ok but keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite all the same. I wouldn't add anymore fish in for at least a couple of weeks. Yes live rock is a bio media but the waste product from fish in saltwater is a lot more toxic than in freshwater so you need less fish with more filtration. Bit more involved than that but hope that makes sense.

Not really the best mix of fish. I would ditch the trigger and forget about the lion fish. Depends on which species of " dwarf lion fish" as most get big enough to eat your clowns and damsels.

I will pm you an address to a good Marine Aquarium Society Australia website so you get a lot of opinions and help. Be aware though that just like this forum you will get slammed for your choice of fish and setup. Don't worry about that just try and learn from the positive response and advice....forget the rest.

How many liters in your aquarium?

Grogshla with saltwater its not hard once you get it stable but the biger the beter, it's easy to keep lager tanks stable.
Squirtle it takes a little for it to crash but you might be lucky.

Butters you beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back