are these species in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

souldoubt

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you dragon enthusiasts happen to know of anyone breeding the Chameleon dragon Chelosania brunnea, or Superb two-lined dragon Diporiphora superba, or if they are even available in captivity?
I'm assuming that they are rare if they are available would love to get a couple of them.

You have I am sure heard of Gavin Bedford, lives in the Northern Territory goes out herping all the time etc? He told me he has seen 4 in the wild in 20 years, just to give you a picture of how rare these are. He did used to have some on display at Crocasaurus cove but in a similar recent thread I was told they were no longer on display there. I have not heard of them being in captivity in private hands although there was one other territory place that had them.

Never heard of captive D.superba.

Both of them? Not that surprising as superba is a Kimberly species and Chameleon's can be found in WA as much as the NT. But I had not heard this before interesting.

Thanks.

They had some at the Australian Reptile Park on the Central Coast but that was a while ago

Thanks for the responses, I might see if I can find out how Perth Zoo obtained theres. Its too bad that they dont seem to be available in captivity they're both very intriguing species!

ps. I dont think Perth Zoo have D. superba, geckphotographer. I can only see chameleon dragons on their list of animals

Taronga Zoo used to display Chameleon dragons a few years ago. Not sure if they still do.

Thanks for the responses, I might see if I can find out how Perth Zoo obtained theres. Its too bad that they dont seem to be available in captivity they're both very intriguing species!

ps. I dont think Perth Zoo have D. superba, geckphotographer. I can only see chameleon dragons on their list of animals

toay i saw chameleon geckos in the species kept list of live foods

pretty sure chamelon dragons are being bred at the Territory wildlife park

John McGrath has done a submission to DSE to get them put on the schedule in vic. A lot of people hope he is successful.

Last edited:
toay i saw chameleon geckos in the species kept list of live foods

The query was about Chelosania - the Chameleon DRAGON. Two very different animals. Chameleon Dragons may not be that uncommon, but they are extremely cryptic and slow-moving, thus very hard to spot in the bush.

In most states you will have little luck getting anything from the wild under permit, and you can forget it if you're a private person in WA.

Jamie

I believe Aust reptile park was doing a breeding program with Superba. Was not very sucessful and i heard that they all ended up dying because of stress. They stress very easily. I looked into them a year or so ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back