Austrelaps superbus heater ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicotas

Reaction score
Hi, I just get a copperhead a week ago and I seen a lot of people doesn't heat them.

I made the choice heat him with a heatmap, the snake have access to a 28~30c hot side and a 17~20 cold side.

And apparently the my snake like the heater because he probably spend more 60% of his day on it.

So I was wondering why people doesn't heat Austrelaps ?
Because he probably do some sunbasking in wild and also how is going to digest his food ?

For me that sound a bit silly to doesn't heat this specie if we have look how he leave in wild.

I look like hear you experiences and opinion on it

Regards,
Nicolas
Sorry for my english

extended periods of that heat will likely shorten the lifespan of your animal.
that is my opinion based upon my experiences.

Hi jack,
Can you tell me for which reason is not good to heat copperhead ?
Can you tell me a bit about your experience with this snake ?
Because in my cage the snake have choice to choose cooler part but it spend a lot of time on the heater.
I'm thinking to change the setup(temp) few days ago but now I will probably not.
Probably drop down the temp to 28c I don't know.
Also the snake is about only 60~70 cm is it possible she's pregnant ?because she look pretty big but I think the snake is to young.
It can explain why it spend a lot of time on the heater.
I will try to post few pictures soon as possible.

Can you tell me for which reason is not good to heat copperhead ?
they die young
Can you tell me a bit about your experience with this snake ?
i have been keeping copperheads on and off since 1992

correction: on further pondering i realise i got my first copperhead in 1989

Last edited:
I kept them for a while also - certainly no where near as long as Jack (not even close). They do fine with practically no heat. I used to give mine short bursts of sunlight in the mornings and that got them by. Ate, digested their food, and seemed very happy. I ended up losing a couple during a heatwave awhile back and have since decided they aren't for me. I hate losing animals and would sooner not keep them if losing them like that came so easy. Good luck ;)

They might benefit immensely from exposure to UV light though? I provided mine with UV fluoros just to try and cover all bases. Beautiful snakes.

Thanks for your informations.
Jack I'm sorry if I sound impolite in my questions.
I from France and my English is not perfect.
I feel you a bit angry on the subject.
What I was wondering is why heating copperhead in captivity kill them ?
Because in wild, I will be surprise if the Austrelaps spend his time hide from the sun and heat. And try to keep his body at a very cool temp.
I think copperhead is really tolerant with temp but we should give them access to heat if they want to and ofcourse access to a cool temp in the most part of the cage.
Have you found a reason why copperhead die from heat ?
For example: we start to think some viper (bitis nasicornis) have constipation due to floor heating.
Also we know some dwarf adder (bitis peringueyi, bitis caudalis...) have die from problems with kidney in captivity be cause peoples don't give then enough water (they think they don't need that much water because they from the desert.

I don't want argument or fight on the subject, I just want share idea and experience on it.

Have a look at where copperheads are found. Along with White-lipped Snakes, they are Australias most cold-tolerant snakes so are basically confined to the south eastern part of the country. They are the first snakes to emerge from hibernation in spring and the last to retire in autumn. They are often active when it's too cold for other snakes. Sure they like to bask in the sun and they occur in areas where daytime temperatures can get above 30, but days like that are more the exception than the rule where they live. Nightime temperatures, even in summer can drop to single digits.
Hopefully some experienced keepers will chip in and help you out.

Hi. I would keep them in a long enclosure with a mesh top and a basking lamp (not too hot) very much down one end. This gives them the opportunity to get away from the heat if need be. The mesh top will stop the whole enclosure heating up and creating a hot box. I'd turn the heat off entirely when you anticipate a hot day. Large bowl of cool fresh water always. Copperheads are very good at raising their body temp by basking (heliothermy) and do not require conductive or ambient heating (thigmothermy). I'd turn the heat off EVERY night. In Melbourne even the coldest nights won't harm a copperhead provided it has a dry refuge. If you want to breed them I'd even consider not providing any heat (including basking) for a few weeks in mid winter. Even better...keep them outside with lots of shade/sun and let them choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back