Bearded dragon eating veggies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dassios1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old bearded dragon which I purchased mid way last year, since ive had her ive noticed the only time she eats her veggies is when i place mealworms in the same food dish and she grabs it by accident, sometimes she shakes her head and spits it out but most times she'll eat. Im only new to bearded dragons so I may be wrong here but could it be that she only eats living things, I find it she doesnt eat dead woodies or crickets unless I'm holding it by a leg and wriggling it to make it appear alive?

Hey Dassios1! :)

You are right, to a degree - a lot of dragons won't eat unless it's "moving", hence a lot of keepers use mealies for this...

I always give my dragons (young and older) their salad first thing in the morning, then crickets at lunch-time... This encourages the dragons to have "breakfast", then they get their protein (crickets, woodies and the like) in the afternoon... This "routine" seems to work well - for mine, at least! :)

Best,
Carolyn

Cheers for that Carolyn, will definitely try it :)

My pygmy is about 3 months old. He had never touched his salad until today. I put it in an moved it around with my finger and he came straight over and started eating it. Later I walked in on him eating it on his own. Maybe this will work for you.

its very important to get ur beardy to eat its salads!!

adults should really have no more than 20% of their diet being protien, too much fat and protien at that age damages the liver.

also, not a good idea to feed dead insects to ur lizard, (unless u accidentally squashed it ofcourse, im talking about the gross ones on the bottom of teh tub,....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back