Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandiceJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my three year old daughter desperately wants a python, she is really confident with them and handles my adult stimsons no worries, she is actually better with them then most adults I know. (and no I would never let her near anything I thought might be even a little bit aggressive)
However, I dont really want her to have a snake simply cause of what people who know nothing about snakes will say and think (for example my mother :) )

What do you guys recommend? She has been around hundreds of bluies, beardies and turtles- all the typical starter stuff so I want to get her something different, that isn't to big, is interesting and tames well.... any ideas or info would be great thanks!

(and no frogs- they creep me out!)

well, in my opinion, if she wants a snake, and you think she's capable and allow her to have one, get her one. who cares what anyone else thinks!

but the other 3 you mentioned are probably the ones that will tolerate the most handling (well turtles not so much, but bluey's and beardies definately)

Why not just let her play with your Stimmie? We have a Stimmie and a Bredli and our 4yo daughter plays with them when we get them out, and we have told her that when she is 10 and can get her reptile licence and look after it on her own, then she can have her own snake (she has her heart set on a Diamond!)

From what I can gather, lizards are a lot more work than pythons, and a 3yo really isn't up to taking responsibility of feeding/cleaning etc so it would almost definitely fall on your shoulders! I guess you need to ask yourself if you would be happy looking after a lizard or if you would prefer to wait until your daughter is old enough to really get involved.

In the ACT do they still have that licensing condition that you have to own a blue tongue or a bluie for a while before you can pythons etc?

Personally I think that blue tongues are excellent starter herps for kids under about 5 because they seem to do reliably well with handling more than many other species.

Yeah she seems pretty content to play with mine but just keeps asking for another! And yep we still have that rule with the bluies and turtles and stuff, stupid stupid painful rule.... But not really a problem as I have done my time and have my license..
The whole looking after it thing wont bother me, though i would like her to be able to be more involved.
Maybe ill start her with a shingle back, whats anyone's thoughts on them? I know they handle pretty well but have never owned one?

I'd vote for the stimmie - a great first python, especially for a small person. That was my first python for my daughter when she was in year 2. At 3 years of age, her passions may change long before the reptile gets older. Why don't you officially give her one of yours and have her take care of it? That way she can 'own' it, while you know it is healthy and are familiar with the temperament. If you don't have a breeding pair, maybe get a mate for your stimson and breed them. She would be fascinated by the mating, egg laying and hatchlings (assuming the pairing is successful, which is not a guarantee).

I have a breeding pair, I think they are getting close, doing all the right things :) I cant believe I didn't think to give her one of mine!! Haha, so simple!!
She has her heart set on a baby snake so I've had to explain that thats not a good idea just yet, so now she wants, as she calls them, a 'Simpsons Snake' so that great! Thanks! :)

Personally, I don't think a three year old should own a pet let alone a reptile. Kids should just "share" their parents pets.

well obviously.
i dont think she's about to just hand one over, and go 'here, its yours now, go look after it yourself!'

Haha thank you Raven, I was just wondering how old Jason from middle earth is himself... ;)

Hey CandiceJ i think its a great idea to say she can own it :) i remember when my mum agreed to let me own the dog.. best day of my life :p

Personally, I don't think a three year old should own a pet let alone a reptile. Kids should just "share" their parents pets.

i agree.

they starting age for a license is 10 or 12 or something, and i think it was put there for a reason and that is that at that age, kids can start to take responsibility for their things properly.

a 3 year old could very easily break a stimson's spine or squish it till it does damage

i agree.

they starting age for a license is 10 or 12 or something, and i think it was put there for a reason and that is that at that age, kids can start to take responsibility for their things properly.

a 3 year old could very easily break a stimson's spine or squish it till it does damage

thats fair enough but whats the difference if Candice tells her daughter its hers? It just makes her daughter feel like she owns it.. by the sounds she handles them any way and will continue regardlessly.. it doesnt sound like it something new to her.. just my option :D

Oh seriously would I be considering this if I had any doubt about how she'd deal with it??
I dont want my child bitten and I dont want any animals hurt.
Give me a break Im not giving the kid something crazy like an anaconda, or something fragile like a lady bug, we're talking blue tongues at most or a 70cm python she's held hundreds of times...

a blue tounge would be fine, but i wouldnt go a python.

doesnt matter if you get the most placid snake in the world, at one time or another it probably will have a go at you.

to quote someone else on the forum who i cant remember, its not if you get bitten, its when you get bitten....... i found that out this morning lol

My 5year old got one for their birthday this year, had been wanting one for ages but we waited till she was five so she was that little bit more capable to help with cleaning, feeding etc.

As for what people think or comment, they aren't raising your child so why should what they think affect how you raise your child? Only exception to this is obviously abuse but gifting a reptile is far from abuse.

Congrats on the possible Stimson babies. My daughter's one is officially named Lisa Stimson.

Our son got his first snake for his 3rd Birthday. He was a stimmie and the best thing we have ever done. Obviously he was always supervised with the snake and we made sure he was very involved with every aspect of it's keeping, and I must say he became more distressed cleaning poo then getting btten. And although some may say 3 is to young I disagree in the right conditions with the right information and encouragement kids can become confident and very well educated little herp keepers. In saying that my son is now 6 and is very confident with all the snakes we own and has put his stimmies along with his blonde maccies together for breeding this year. I also think it is a great way for him to make his own money, ( he saved up enough for half a woma and we gave him the rest of the money for his birthday) and setting him on a good path for the future, I certainly can't afford the things kids want these days so he can make his own money.
And hey at the end of the day no matter what people say its your decsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back