Betta Barracks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes as Tsubakai said i have a small heater in the sump.

Shoo Shoo I have read up on feeding fry, they havent laid the eggs yet but from what i can tell they are very close.

Thanks for the sites i will do some more reading today.

Mrs I

xxx

\basically you're looking to get your hands on a micro-worm culture (or 10), plus a setup to hatch baby brine shrimp, also put lots of live plants liek java moss in the fry tank as that breeds micro buggies that the fry can feed on. they are so small some people cant see the fry when they're born, so good luck feeding! also note that the water will foul very quickly if you over-feed and that water changes are a no-no until the fry are about 4 weeks old as they are very sensitive to water conditions. best idea is to add 200ml fresh water every day, through a drip system that adds only one drop of water to the tank every few seconds. i used to do this a a hobby before i got into snakes, sersiouly fun and rewarding when you manage it but the workload wasnt really worth it IMO. also depends on what you're breeding, look at aquabid.com its an international fish trading site like ebay but for fish, you can get yourself some ripper animals shipped in from thailand for under 150 through Jodi-Lea in Brisbane. what are you breeding atm? I did some gold dragons, HM plakats and hm copper monsters, they were so so much fun to watch!

i've blabbed a bit... lol, HAVE FUN! :D:D

Cultures are being started today, but have access to some already going if needs be.

Shoo Shoo - when do i take the male out of the spawning tank ?

I just have your normal bettas and a few crowntails atm, but can see i will probably end up with a few more over the next few weeks/months.

Thanks for your replies..

So you can import Siamese fighters from overseas?! That's great, all the amazing ones are on foreign websites. Do they ship well though?

i leave the male in there till the fry start dropping, there usually really good dads but can end up bruising or hurting the babies if there ready to drop out of the nest as he will continue to pick them up and try to put them back in lol
also i have to say that one of the most common misconceptions would be that they dont need heating, people seem to think that because there in a small tank or bowl there not tropical? or maybe they dont care coz there preety and they want them on there desk.
great set up btw Mrs l!!

I have 3 and am going to get some more :p they really are gentle natured (besides to other males lol of course) so im going to have a few different tetras, glass cats, and kuhli loaches and put one male fighter in there to be the focal point of the tank :) I love them so much LOVE

Nat ;) x

I have kept a different male Betta in medium to large community aquaria on three separate occasions. In only one of those aquaria, I saw the Betta roaming the tank often and, even then, only the top 5-10cm, usually near the edge and nowhere near the waterfall filter. On both other occasions, each Betta found its favourite corner and barely strayed, even to the extent that I had to feed it in its own corner (actually a good thing because their optimum feeding requirements are a bit different to most other community aquarium species). In fairness, however, these aquaria were in different offices where I worked and the Bettas could have been all over the aquarium at night and I wouldn't have known!

I have 3 and am going to get some more :p they really are gentle natured (besides to other males lol of course) so im going to have a few different tetras, glass cats, and kuhli loaches and put one male fighter in there to be the focal point of the tank :) I love them so much LOVE

Nat ;) x

Just a tip. Don't include barbs (especially tiger barbs) in a tank with fighters. They nibble fins and bully quiet fish. I have kept all of the types you mentioned (well, not EVERY type of tetra) with fighters and all are good.

Just a tip. Don't include barbs (especially tiger barbs) in a tank with fighters. They nibble fins and bully quiet fish. I have kept all of the types you mentioned (well, not EVERY type of tetra) with fighters and all are good.

oh ok well I'm going to start a new thread soon anyway, with what species of fish im going to have and if they will be good together, ive already asked a few fish people and they said what i picked are going to be fine :) so im just double checking. keep an eye out for my thread if you can, (Just so i dont hijack this one :) )
im going to call it 'new tropical aquarium help' or something along those lines.

Nat ;) x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back