Blotched Blue Tongues and Easter Water Skink in the same Enclosure.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

short.ryan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Baby Blotchys and a Easter Water Skink in the same enclosure, is this okay or will the Blotchys attack the Water Skink?

10/12cm. It has nothing to do with how big it will get. The skink will become prey for your Blotchie.

If they were kept in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of material to keep them separated such as rocks, logs, plants etc, I don't see why not. Water skinks are alot faster than a blue-tongue, I doubt the blue-tongue would get the chance to grab it.

However, in an indoor enclosure, I personally wouldn't advise it.

Hey short.ryan, I wouldn't keep them in the same enclosure. I believe the blotchies would hunt it down. Blueys can be very fast when in a hunting mode, similar to when threatened or in a panic. Also, keep an eye on the blotchies as they can be aggressive towards each other.

Kaay, sweeet.
The Blotchys only seem to sleep and the Skink gets the whole enclosure to himself at the moment, so I dont really see why they cant be in the same enclosure

:shock: You might be getting away with it at the moment but it only takes a second for you to have a dead Water Skink.
Blue Tounges look slow but I have had one sunning in an outdoor enclousure with some Giant Queensland Grasshoppers which are very fast. I now have a lot less grasshoppers.
Blueys have powerful jaws and they only need to hit the much smaller skink once to kill it or do some horrible damage. Even if they don't catch it, the Water Skink could be living in a constant state of stress to keep out of range.

There is no way I would put any of my Eastern Water Skinks with a bluey of any age.

The Water Skink sits and crawls all over the Blotchys?
And they dont seem to care?
And i have moved to Water Skink to another enclosure of you were wondering.

Your blueys might be just a bit slow and not that hungry this time of year, and as mentioned, it only takes a fraction of a second and you've got a dead or injured skink.
I had two beardies that were best mates for a whole year, and then within a day, turned on each other to become mortal enemies. Fortunately we were there to separate them straight away, but if we weren't it would have been ugly. And as I say, these guys were best mates. They can just turn...
Good to hear you've got them separated now...
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back