blotched blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJC-787

Reaction score
i have been reading all the info on these skinks and i am still looking and can't find the following info

1. how long do they grow to

2. how old are they when they breed

3. what size enclosure do i need for 2 young ones

Hi Casho,
I just bought a hatchie pair of blotcheds myself.
They grow around 550mm long.They breed about 2-3 years old and have up to 12 babies.
You coold house 2 young ones in a tank 3foot tank.

i would just like to add that breeding with reptiles isnt always age more size so if people under feed their reptiles will be much older then someones that have been fed properly when that come sexually mature

12 babies from a blotch would be classed as exceptional,average 4 to 7 per litter,they can grow to 2 foot long,and as was stated,its more size related then age to when they breed,but i like to at least have them 3 years old,i dont power grow my lot,just feed enough to let them grow nicely for my liking

12 babies from a blotch would be classed as exceptional,average 4 to 7 per litter,they can grow to 2 foot long,and as was stated,its more size related then age to when they breed,but i like to at least have them 3 years old,i dont power grow my lot,just feed enough to let them grow nicely for my liking
Hi Richard.
I have found that easterns have the most at 5-25 these are all average clutches.
Followed by blotched with 2-12,then western at 3-10 and last centralian with only 2-7.
I have done alot of sudying on bluey's.
As i said 2-3 years is in my opinion is a good age to breed them.As they will be a good size at this age if fed a regular average diet.
With blotched males are normally smaller and a 2ft blotched is not common 550mm is an average full size length.;)

i have that book on order it is coming in on monday. i will be getting a pair that i think they are hatchlings from a mate in the ext couple of weeks. he said the other day he has a big male that is about 70cm long. so a 1m x 50cm is alright for the winter for a pair as in spring they will be going into a pit.

Hi Cashp

I caught a pair of blotchys mating on a path one day.

They bred very 2 years in a 1.8 x 1.8 metre cage with some Eastern Water Dragons and a Black rock skink (Egeria saxatilis) in the cage with them.

Out of the 2 females I have had produce young an average would be 6.

cheers

Last edited:
my alpine blotch female has had babys the last 3 yearsstraight,the question was how big can they get,ive measured one personally at 61 cm,a lowlands blotch,just saying they can get that big,average lengths are alot smaller than that,brettix that isnt average litters that you are stating,thats there recorded ranges,highest to lowest i think you will find,ive bred blotcheds for over25 years mine average 4 or 5 per litter, once i got 8 and once 10,same with easterns,the biggest i got from them was 19,had 17 a few times,but mostly around 12 or 13,some younger females usually have around 7,this season im hoping to breed my westerns and centralians for the first time,and im still waiting on my female stumpy to have her babys this season,which marks her 5th year on the trot if she eventually pops them out,lol

the best book on blueys u will find at mike swan herp books,covers overseas types as well plus all stumpys and even pinktongues and she oak skinks,its like 140 odd bucks but an excellent book thats worth getting

Hi Richard.
I have found that easterns have the most at 5-25 these are all average clutches.
Followed by blotched with 2-12,then western at 3-10 and last centralian with only 2-7.
I have done alot of sudying on bluey's.
As i said 2-3 years is in my opinion is a good age to breed them.As they will be a good size at this age if fed a regular average diet.
With blotched males are normally smaller and a 2ft blotched is not common 550mm is an average full size length.;)

There's only so much research can tell you.
My average is also about 4-5 per litter, the biggest litter I've got so far had 8 (funnily enough from the smallest female).
My largest is about 50cm TL and she's solid as well, can't imagine them much bigger.

There's only so much research can tell you.
My average is also about 4-5 per litter, the biggest litter I've got so far had 8 (funnily enough from the smallest female).
My largest is about 50cm TL and she's solid as well, can't imagine them much bigger.
Yep true guys,info does change alot between books and websites.
Better of listening to the breeders of this species.
cheers;)

so would i be able to keep a pair of blotched and an eastern in a 1m x 50cm enclosure until spring when they will go outside. they are all young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back