Breathing problems?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverell

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 5-6 month old Stimson hatchie, I've had her for about 2 months now. I handle her most days except after feeding and she is always very chill, never snappy or defensive, but I'm worried that her breathing rate is too fast. Every time I handle her, her breathing rate is quite fast - I'd say at least 70 times a minute. I've read this can be a sign of stress but her behaviour otherwise is very relaxed - slow movements, slow tongue flicks, quite inquisitive, and not gripping too tight. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? Should I handle her less often? I'm pretty sure her resp rate is slower in her enclosure.

Also, she has only pooped once since having her in 2 months and it was tiny, and I can never find any urates? Is this normal? I'm not sure if she's not passing urates or if they're just hidden in the substrate, but I do pretty thorough spot checks. She seems otherwise healthy and eats a pinkie mouse every 5 days - I'm about to move her onto fuzzies - , never any issues, and had a perfect shed roughly a month ago. Her temps are 31-33 warm end, 22-24 cool end. Any advice/ideas what could be going on?

Thank you in advance!!

Back