Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thread Michael ;)

IMO, anyone can have a breeding program/plan. I think what really matters at the end of the day is... Is that breeding program going to be successful?
Normally in a Zoo, they have several experienced and well educated personnel. In a private collection, not so much, and a higher % of human error comes to play (an important variable is the history and past experience of the individual owner).

I think if the government is going to allow an animal such as the Oenpelli to be in a private or commercial Zoo breeding program/plan, the estimated success rate of each plan must be thought through.
Conservationally speaking, I would like to see animals in such a situation as the Oenpelli Python be put in Zoo's with a high % rate of successful similar breeding programs of which they would have a "template" program and use it on the Oenpelli. (Everything from housing, temps, breeding behaviours etc.)

If were talking about private breeding programs (with anything from simple species to species breeding and line breeding), I would personally not be announcing any program until results can be proven.
Lots to ponder about, but when it comes down to it, it's all in personal perspective isn't it?

Cheers,

l totally disagree with the above post and the proof is in the pudding particularly with the Oenpelli and others l can think of...solar 17 (Baden)

l totally disagree with the above post and the proof is in the pudding particularly with the Oenpelli and others l can think of...solar 17 (Baden)

I agree 100%, Any advancement with this hobby usually come from the efforts
of private keepers dedicated to the species!

As private keepers we go that last mile to ensure every possable chance and spend countless hours both day and night working on programs where as the paid staff of a zoo clock off at the end of the day.

breeding = (the reproduction of living things) program = (the physical action put in place to achieve the afore)...... this would be my definition......

& so is a very broad term & can be used extremely loosely....... it could cover breeding a few mice in a single enclosure with minimal husbandry or it could mean the selective breeding of Tasmanian Devils in 3 or 4 locations to find a genetic cure for their strange cancers to save the species & all of the hundreds of safety guards, scientific research & 1% ers that are put into place to achieve it.

It could also mean buying some vitamin tablets & exercising a little more prior to starting a family......

I am not sure in which direction you want this thread to go ??

A breeding program is just that. A program (usually with a plan) to achieve an end result of offspring.
Included in the program my or my not be research/study on such things as natural environment, diet, behavior of the animals. If this information is already known to you then it wont be included.
There could be many outcomes you are trying to achieve as part of the program. You might be hoping to breed as many animals as possible, you might be trying to breed for a particular trait, you may be trying to breed unrelated animals to keep lines "pure".
The program needs a way of measuring the success i.e If you are trying to breed large numbers of a species and breed 100 have you been successful? or do you need to breed 500 to be successful?
You don't have to have something rare or different to have a program. You may have a program to breed large numbers of carpet pythons, and plan to breed 1000, that's fine (its your program) if you already know how to house them, what to feed them, and when to place them together for mating then its going to be an easier program to achieve the desired result.
You may have a program to breed 4 Oenpelli pythons. This may involve finding and collecting them from the wild, working out how to house them, what they eat, and when they are happy, putting them together for breeding. Once you have bred 4 animals your program is complete. (of course I think you should rethink your program and maybe breed a few more to share with us)
Years ago I had a program to breed unrelated SA Woma pythons (i did say years ago) and achieved my result in 3 years so the program is over. Now I have a program which involves BHP's and it is going to be about 6 years to hopefully get the results I am after in my program, so length of time can also be a factor in many programs.
Hope this helps in the discussion.
T

T

It sure has. This is a proposal that could easily be used for the Oenpelli pythons. The 'breeding program' within this document was a detailed description of techniques and numbers but the whole document is in a way a breeding program proposal. Of course this is only the Index, the whole document had 38 pages.

Document removed

Last edited:
A breeding program is just that. A program (usually with a plan) to achieve an end result of offspring.
Included in the program my or my not be research/study on such things as natural environment, diet, behavior of the animals. If this information is already known to you then it wont be included.
There could be many outcomes you are trying to achieve as part of the program. You might be hoping to breed as many animals as possible, you might be trying to breed for a particular trait, you may be trying to breed unrelated animals to keep lines "pure".
The program needs a way of measuring the success i.e If you are trying to breed large numbers of a species and breed 100 have you been successful? or do you need to breed 500 to be successful?
You don't have to have something rare or different to have a program. You may have a program to breed large numbers of carpet pythons, and plan to breed 1000, that's fine (its your program) if you already know how to house them, what to feed them, and when to place them together for mating then its going to be an easier program to achieve the desired result.
You may have a program to breed 4 Oenpelli pythons. This may involve finding and collecting them from the wild, working out how to house them, what they eat, and when they are happy, putting them together for breeding. Once you have bred 4 animals your program is complete. (of course I think you should rethink your program and maybe breed a few more to share with us)
Years ago I had a program to breed unrelated SA Woma pythons (i did say years ago) and achieved my result in 3 years so the program is over. Now I have a program which involves BHP's and it is going to be about 6 years to hopefully get the results I am after in my program, so length of time can also be a factor in many programs.
T

I think that this is a very good explanation of a breeding program.
When i talk about my breeding program, it is basically pairing the right animals to achieve a desired outcome.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back