Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanharvey1993

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wondering who has seen wild broad headed snakes before, I would like to see photos of them. I know a few people have seen them. also would like to know was it active at night when you found it or near a crevice or under tin or rock.

Ryan

hey Ryan...twas along time ago...but our next door neigbour had a snake and i wasn't keeping reptiles at the time but from what i remember it had a very very distinct head shape of that to ones in pics...but then again it could have been something else...

Luke

i saw on fox a guy who went lookin for some and he was talkin about how there distribution is so restricted........u may have seen it.....He is know as the snake catcher or hunter??
Just a lil bit of extra info thats prob already known!

Ryan, it is possible to see broadheads without flipping rocks. You just have to spend ALOT of time out in the bush (hard luck eh?). A mate found one spotlighting. It was crawling down a large gum tree onto the track. Another mate has found them several times moving across dirt roads (walking, not night driving).

-H

Yes i have seen a few little Hoplocephalus bungaroides, all of them because we were diliberately looking for them too so in sandstone rock cracks

I have seen a couple whilst looking under rocks and a friend has seen them crossing bushtracks at night(he had to scream at the driver to stop on one occassion......how would you feel if you were on a wildlife survey and you ran over an endangered species!). Basically they spend the winters on rocks and summers in the forests. If you do go looking for them please ensure any rocks are placed back exactly how you find them.....they have already suffered enormously from people smashing up sites and from the bushrock collectors. Someone is actually trialling placing artifially made rocks back into sites that have been stripped by bushrock collectors in the hope of stabilising Broad head populations. I'm not sure if they are active by day although I've heard reports of people seeing them basking next to crevices(I saw a Stephens Banded doing this once). I think they do most of their thermoregulation by shuffling around under rocks and inside hollow branches to remain at a preferred temperature.

Nephurus.....personally I DESPISE the term "flipping". I know it is well entrenched on American herpsites...but to me it invokes a completely carefree attitude to rolling rocks over with disregard to how they are replaced, if at all. I am sure you didn't mean it that way.

We have all been to sites, often sites we have visited for many years, only to find that others have been there and broken rocks, left rocks rolled on their backs or not bothered replacing them properly, and undoubtedly vacuumed up a lot of animals in the process! The seal a rock makes with the ground or other rocks is often quite critical for the animals that utilise them. Coming across sites like this is quite devastating. It takes little effort to put rocks and other cover back exactly how you found them. Apart from showing respect for the environment you are in, it pays off big time in that you can go back to the same places over and over again and still see animals.

I think on these forums there are quite a few people with little or no field experience and I think use of the word "flipping" only conveys a sense of disrespect for the environment. Field herping is a fantastic pastime but we should all ensure it is something that others can enjoy long into the future.

I have seen a couple whilst looking under rocks and a friend has seen them crossing bushtracks at night(he had to scream at the driver to stop on one occassion......how would you feel if you were on a wildlife survey and you ran over an endangered species!). Basically they spend the winters on rocks and summers in the forests. If you do go looking for them please ensure any rocks are placed back exactly how you find them.....they have already suffered enormously from people smashing up sites and from the bushrock collectors. Someone is actually trialling placing artifially made rocks back into sites that have been stripped by bushrock collectors in the hope of stabilising Broad head populations. I'm not sure if they are active by day although I've heard reports of people seeing them basking next to crevices(I saw a Stephens Banded doing this once). I think they do most of their thermoregulation by shuffling around under rocks and inside hollow branches to remain at a preferred temperature.

Nephurus.....personally I DESPISE the term "flipping". I know it is well entrenched on American herpsites...but to me it invokes a completely carefree attitude to rolling rocks over with disregard to how they are replaced, if at all. I am sure you didn't mean it that way.

We have all been to sites, often sites we have visited for many years, only to find that others have been there and broken rocks, left rocks rolled on their backs or not bothered replacing them properly, and undoubtedly vacuumed up a lot of animals in the process! The seal a rock makes with the ground or other rocks is often quite critical for the animals that utilise them. Coming across sites like this is quite devastating. It takes little effort to put rocks and other cover back exactly how you found them. Apart from showing respect for the environment you are in, it pays off big time in that you can go back to the same places over and over again and still see animals.

I think on these forums there are quite a few people with little or no field experience and I think use of the word "flipping" only conveys a sense of disrespect for the environment. Field herping is a fantastic pastime but we should all ensure it is something that others can enjoy long into the future.

Totally agree, i wrote an ecology research paper on this exact topic. Research data was only from the Katoomba/ Blue Mountains area of their range but certainly painted a pretty grim picture. Actually also found a pretty large feline print while doing the field research, wonder if that has contributed to the "search for the Penrith Panther" drive of the premier :?

thanks guys, do you have any pictures. hopefully when I come down this summer I can get out for a bit of herping in a few of the national parks around. I can get my P's in a year and a half so I want to come down to sydney and do a fair bit of herping then, wouldnt mind seeing one, want to see one active though, so I dont have to disturb the habitat.

I have seen quite a few little broardies, but all while specifically looking for them. I was doing a reasearch paper on them- I found the first one after 2 hours of looking, the next one took about 50 hours, spread over three weeks solid searching.I ended up seeing about twelve in total, however i suspect that i caught two of them twice( on different occasions)
They are still, relativly easy to find in the bombing range adjacent to heathcote national park, but it is a 12 km walk to the ridge i have seen them on.

* note- i completed this research project between 1994 and 1996, and haven't returned to look for them since about 2000. There have been several significant bushfires in the region and the herp scene has grown alot in that time, and i believe the sydney numbers suffered a severe drop, prior to the licence amnesty as people stocked up on wild caught animals of hard to get species.

you shouldnt put the location on here as plenty of people see this thread

Most people know they are there, and those who have no idea still wouldn't be able to find them. NPWS have even put up signs at some locations to "protect them" , well from the honest people anyway......

Attachments

• gone....jpg
    gone....jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 272
... and i believe the sydney numbers suffered a severe drop, prior to the licence amnesty as people stocked up on wild caught animals of hard to get species.

Not sure just how true that is as there wasn't all that many of them declared during the amnesty as far as i'm aware, off the top of my head i think it was 12, don't quote me on it though.

I know a lot of damage was done to their habitat around the time though, particularly up near Lithgow, as Taronga Zoo was collecting them around the same time for a breeding program and even hundreds of metres off the tracks, almost every rock had been turned and many of them had been broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure just how true that is. There wasn't all that many of them declared during the amnesty as far as i'm aware, off the top of my head i think it was 12, don't quote me on it though.

howcome hardly any people keep them now, yet lots of people got them when the amnesty was declared? have they just died out in captivity or what, on the lsit of species kept in nsw it said only 3 people where keeping them in NSW

That's what i mean, i don't think there were that many declared to begin with. No doubt people were out there trying to find them, and doing a lot of damage at the same time, but it would seem that they just didn't find that many of them, or they just weren't declared for some reason.

have you ever seen one JasonL? signs wouldnt really stop people getting in would they?

Signs won't stop people who want to collect them no, they also have cameras set up so that might hinder some...., I have never seen wild broadheads, I know where they are, but I don't like lifting rocks to find herps, I'm sick of seeing this......... I have seen a few captive ones, they pretty boring snakes really, over-rated because of their rarity.

Attachments

• rockflipping.jpg
    rockflipping.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 169
  • rockflipping1.jpg
    rockflipping1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 160
  • rockflipping2.jpg
    rockflipping2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 147
  • rockflipping3.jpg
    rockflipping3.jpg