broard headed snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is actually a Broad Headed Snake management and recovery group amongst the Australian Zoos. A program is being devised within the ARAZPA (Australasian Regional Association of Zoo Parks and Aquaria) institutions to selectively breed the most genetically diverse individuals from specific populations that are already captive in these instiitutions. Once these animals have been successfully bred, a recovery population may possibly be made up of some of these animals and then distributed to other institutions for further breeding.

The aim is to produce a genetically diverse population in captivity, that may possibly be used by the Zoos for a release program should it ever be needed.

Before any of this happens, they must first control illegal poaching, Bush rock removal and fire regimes. Otherwise all the captive breeding and field research is for nothing.

thanx guys great info had no idea about some of them points
so how much would u look to pay

There is actually a Broad Headed Snake management and recovery group amongst the Australian Zoos. A program is being devised within the ARAZPA (Australasian Regional Association of Zoo Parks and Aquaria) institutions to selectively breed the most genetically diverse individuals from specific populations that are already captive in these instiitutions. Once these animals have been successfully bred, a recovery population may possibly be made up of some of these animals and then distributed to other institutions for further breeding.

The aim is to produce a genetically diverse population in captivity, that may possibly be used by the Zoos for a release program should it ever be needed.

Before any of this happens, they must first control illegal poaching, Bush rock removal and fire regimes. Otherwise all the captive breeding and field research is for nothing.

yes i learnt of this programme with ARAZPA(trust me captive animal teacher graemme phipps talks all day about arazpa) and unfortunantly yes its the bush rock removal ,feral animal,habitat destruction that makes it impossible at moment.
Many private keepers breed them very successfully forget what the zoos have to offer Private keepers do much better.

In recent times they have been found around Lithgow and in the Gardens of Stone National Park, well outside the Sydney Basin.

Gird

A few years ago the National Parks people fenced off the Southern end of Heathcote oval in the RNP to protect the broad headed snake.

At the time I was p**ed off as we had a way to get through a MTB trail to link to Waterfall etc...I didnt realise how rare the broad headed snake was...In my ignorance I had never seen or even heard of them as a species.

Where they fenced off was also a human historical site as there is an old dam there used by Steam trains to fill up with water before proceeding down the coast. Apparently it was also a good herping spot (but I have never actually been herping there, merely bushwalking and MTB'ing back in the 90's).

I now realise that this is a good step (fencing off endangered areas) in helping them recover. However, to my knowledge there is not a lot of sandstone around there (well not as much as over Heathcote way). I still havnt seen a wild one but perhaps one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back