Brown Snake or brown snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joannef

Reaction score
I have just been looking in the gallery for Brown Snake (see post re removal). Silly me thought that a Brown Snake would be, well, brown, like chocolate. How variable is the colour?
My neighbour said he saw a 'Brown Snake' in my yard - could it also have been a Brown Tree Snake (which are apparently no threat to us)? How does a novice distinguish between them? thanks (Central Coast NSW)

not the best pics but here u go.

1st two eastern brown very variable as u can see. and last 3 are bad photos of bts. sorry couldnt find any better.

bts slim and slender with big eyes and larger head coompared to body. mainly nocternal.

someone oon here can explain better then me, but u can see the differnece.

Attachments

• P1040750.jpg
    P1040750.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1040748.jpg
    P1040748.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 50
  • new phoyto 052.jpg
    new phoyto 052.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P3110796.jpg
    P3110796.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 56
  • new phoyto 015.jpg
    new phoyto 015.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 39
Not all Brownsnakes are brown and not all Blacksnakes are black. They're pretty silly names really. Not all Tiger Snakes have bands, not all... well, yeah, you get the idea. The easiest ways are often from the scalation or the shape of the head, but in some species, such as the Red-bellied Black Snake, colouration often gives it straight away.

ummmm..... I don't think I'd stand still long enough to look THAT close for scalation..... I'd be over the horizon before I even saw the shape of the head!!!! LOL I LOVE ALL snakes, but with an overly active respect for vens, I'll happily give them as wide a berth as I possibly can (and THEN some!!!!)

I have the utmost respect for those who can handle them, and good luck, at least SOMEONE can remove them from where they're not supposed to be!!! (shudder!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back