Bynoe Gecko Eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Penrith

Reaction score
Gday guys,
I got for bynoe gecko eggs but i dont have an incubator,
I found them when i was changin the sand in there tank, I filled a chinese container half with sand and half with aspen snake bedding, I put 1 in the sand, 1 on the sand and 2 in the bedding, They are in my snake tank which is in between 30 - 31 degrees do i need to spray the eggs daily or anythin and should i put the lid on the chinese container?? Plz let me know asap

don't know much about geckos but sand probably wouldn't have enough moister and the could dry out i use 50-50 mix of vermiculite and water and that works well for me.put a lid on them you should build your self an incubator they don't take very long to make mine took 3 hours how long have they been out for ?

ive never incubated gecko eggs but with my dragon eggs we put the eggs in chinese container filled with vermiculite( which you can get at a gardening or hardware place) and water. We use a ratio of about 1:1 by weight and place the eggs on top of the vermiculite and then put the lid on top with a few holes in it. If you keep them where you have them they should be fine as long as the temp is constantly between 30-31.

Thanks guys, yeah i didnt realise that she had laid, i thought she was looking a lil thin, can u get vermiculite from bunnings??

do you have a thermostat controlling the temps in your tank you don't wont the eggs get to hot

Have you changed the orientation of the eggs? two look horizontal and two look vertical in your pic... You need to make sure they are kept at the same orientation as when they were laid, especially if you found them a while after deposition.

Do you only have one female? If so at least two of the eggs are weeks old.

Ok well going by the advice Sdaji offered me last week on this very issue, i was told that:

A 1:1 ratio of vermiculite to water will be fine, though bineo's also tolerate drier conditions to that when incubating. Sdaji also mentioned that sand would be ok for incubating.

If you are still having troubles i recommend you contact him and work it out, after all he's the man when it comes to clones.

Good luck.

so should i fill the container complety with the vermiculite then add the water

the most commonly used mix is 1:1 by weight vermiculite to water OR sometimes drier. Measure out as much verm as you want to mix up and weigh it then add the same weight in water and mix through. The mixture shouldn't feel too wet. If you squeeze some of the vermiculite between your fingers you should just get out a small amount of water, the mix shouldn't be sodden.

If using vermiculite:

Place bout 25-50grams of vermiculite into a chinese container and moisten the vermiculite with 25-50mls water (using the same ratio or less to that of the verm.).

Now place a sheet of glad wrap over the container and fasten down the lid.

Incubate around 29deg.

Thanks heaps for the info, nah i got 2 males and 2 females, all housed together, will air still get in with the glad wrap covering

The idea behid the glad wrap is to stop any condensation forming on the lid from dropping back onto the eggs. If any air does get in it would be minimal.

clones are otherwise referred to as pathogenetic geckos. Meaning they breed individually. They are classified under H.Bineoi though are a separate species altogether (from the findings made by Sdaji).
Still interested......search the threads, Sdaji has explained them many times.

Hi all,

before I'm accused of making false claims or something, I wasn't the one who did the work identifying the different species of Heteronotia! There are several species of geckoes originally lumped together under the name Heteronotia binoei (Bynoe's Gecko), and because they haven't yet been given 'normal' names, the books available to 'regular people' have not been updated. In the scientific literature, the species are referred to as Heteronotia SM6, H. CA6, H. EA6 and parthenogenetic Heteronotia (The parthenogens are the really interesting ones which clone themselves and haven't bred for over 100,000 years).

I've sometimes heard rumours that I've been the one or one of the ones to do the taxonomic work, but that's not the case at all! I did spend a couple of years working with one of the guys who has done a lot of work with these geckoes, but we were working with parthenogenetic grasshoppers. I've done a bit of work with Clone Geckoes in the laboratory, but it has been physiological work, not taxonomic.

In the lab, we've incubated Heteronotia eggs in a wide range of temperatures, substrates and moisture levels. Pretty much everything works. I've been incubating them at home for a fair few years now, I do it differently every year and everything works :lol: (This year I'm using a variant of moist sand). The sexuals' eggs are effectively identical to the clone eggs, I wouldn't recommend incubating them any differently, although it might be worth incubating the northern sexual a bit warmer than the southern sexual, etc. Unfortunately, because the books and wildlife departments aren't yet able to recognise the different species, almost no one knows what they have. Fortunately, the basic gecko methods work well for all of them.

They're a fascinating group :) Good luck with the incubation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back