Camera People, I Need Help Wit a Decision!!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Em1986

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone has a Nikon coolpix 5700 DSLR? A person i know is selling one for $250 and claiming they bought it a year ago from e-bay for $400.
How good are they at taking marco shots, about how old is this model, and are they any good as a general use camera?
I did a google search but it's just coming up with reviews (biased) and considering it will be my 'bubbies' (reptiles) i am taking photos of then i thought i would ask you guys :)
Thanks heaps in advance.

They are slr style cameras but they are not dslrs, for people who dont care about all the manual options and lenses available for dlsrs, these are definatley the way to go. I havent used them personally but I have seen some lovely photos taken. Im not sure how well they go on a macro level but as a general camera they are pretty good. Im pretty sure they are pretty old from around early 2000's 2002 to 2005 maybe?

$250 is defintiley way to much, they are on ebay for about $150.

this is the current version of that camera Nikon Coolpix P500 Black - Diamonds Camera Video & Digital

Last edited:
Oh ok, so it isn't a digital then?
The woman said she paid $400 for it but i am not too sure how true that is after reading the current price for them!
I used to be into photography back at school but since then (about 10 years) i have only had a cannon digital camera that was bought about 6+ years ago so i am looking to sort of upgrade the quality.
Thanks heaps for the help, at least now i know the price is a bit steep and how old it is etc! I can't find any of this model on e-bay but know this one has a few 'minor' marks when 'in the right light' on it.
Thanks heaps again and may i ask what you currently use? I want something easy to use (may learn how to fiddle with lenses etc properly) and has good macro quality.

It is still digital buts its considered a "compact" digital rather then SLR (single lens reflex) which basicly means its made to basic pictures, which look great, which is fine for most people and is a one of price. but you can't buy lenses for them which makes things like macro photography a bit tough.

Ive had a few but im currently using a d3100 ( a dslr camera) which I think for a photography enthusiast is a great camera. the only problem is the lenses generally cost more than the cameras haha. a 90mm macro lense goes for about $400. my 18 - 200mm lens cost me just under $1000.

I think for what you want maybe something like a Canon powershot compact would be good. you just have to research the different models and prices.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps :)
I just like to know what other people are using before researching things so that i know i am looking up something that works well.
My Cannon isn't too bad but is way behind the quality of newer digital cameras and leaves me wanting something that can handle macro shots without going blurry! It is just a standard digital and i think it's less than 5mp and only 5x optical zoom.
Oh and i would probably just get a lense that does macro etc but nothing too complex so price doesn't worry me terribly much :)
Thanks heaps again for your help and i think i will pass on the purchase as i found some on e-bay in the US going for about AU$65 with original packaging etc!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back