can brown tree snakes be housed with green tree snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cazm01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i cant find any info if bts and gts can be housed together i have a female gts (i think) and was considering a female bts. and would like to know if they do co exist together with out dramas, if so what size enclouse would be best? thanks in advance.

iv found these guys in the winter curled up together in small rock crevises so if the enclosure is big enough then i dont see why not?
thanks eddie.

i dont want them to cross breed. thats why they both will be female. just wanted to make sure if i do put them together they wont kill each other.

My BTSs try and eat most things.. I wouldn't trust any of them with GTS..

my friend did it and the brown tree snake started to swallow the green tree snake then regurgitated it and the gtd was dead but in the past he had done it with others with no problems so i guess its a luck thing but its risky

GTS x BTS hybrids o_O something new can it be done? Has it been done?

Highly doubt it. The colubrids are a massive mix of all sorts of snakes that don't quite fit anywhere else, common trees are aglyphous (fangless) while brown trees are opisthoglyphous (rear-fanged).To me it'd be like an elapid mating and producing viable young with a python: impossible.

And no, I wouldn't keep them together.

Last edited:
BTS is nocturnal and GTS is diurnal. What will happen? The GTS will disturb the BTS in day time and the BTS will do the same at night. Makes sense?

BTS is nocturnal and GTS is diurnal. What will happen? The GTS will disturb the BTS in day time and the BTS will do the same at night. Makes sense?

Another good point. I don't think there's any reason to put them together. If two species are of significantly different size, have confronting habits or different environmental requirements - or if they're likely to push each other out of their preferred niches - don't house them together. At the park we have shinglebacks with frillies and central beardies, water dragons with turtles etc no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back