can u keep a Brown Snake ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just want to know if you can keep a brown snake? if so what type of licence do you need? and if you can handle them?
im just curious as i think they are freaking gorgous...unfortunately the only live ones i have seen have been killed.

and live i meant by non picture/photo form

Are you taking the ....?

If you need to ask such a question you obviously have never shown enough interest in snakes to source this information in the first place.
These snakes do not come with training wheels and mistakes can be costly to you and the hobby so I can only suggest to do your homework.

Yes that is correct

steve thats awsome! there are too many snakes being killed when they can be relocated. good job . i want to find a snake re locator where i am and inform my friends and family about them.
a few weeks ago a king dwarf brown bit one of my neighbours dogs.. the snake got into the dog pen that's well secured so it was a rare incident ..but yer he killed it . to defend his self and the dog. the dog survived . he felt bad as he holds my snake and think they are amazing. if he knew how to capture it until someone could have picked it up he would have. unfortunately alot of people are not educated.
so yer i was thinking of making up a basic fact sheet to give out on how to catch a snake if it has come into your personal space. and a number of who to call. that a good idea? or nah?

we get alot of king dwarf browns and red belly blacks here .

Are you taking the ....?

If you need to ask such a question you obviously have never shown enough interest in snakes to source this information in the first place.
These snakes do not come with training wheels and mistakes can be costly to you and the hobby so I can only suggest to do your homework.

i was terrified of snakes until i got mine a month ago. i'm learning as much as i can and a have been doing research it is just sometimes good to see what others think.

Last edited:
Are you taking the ....?

think from the question of the thread shows an interest. somene would hardly ask these questions if they wernt interested would they? you would guess the the person asking is very inexperienced, but at least their trying to learn.

Last edited:
steve thats awsome! there are too many snakes being killed when they can be relocated. good job . i want to find a snake re locator where i am and inform my friends and family about them.
a few weeks ago a king dwarf brown bit one of my neighbours dogs.. the snake got into the dog pen that's well secured so it was a rare incident ..but yer he killed it . to defend his self and the dog. the dog survived . he felt bad as he holds my snake and think they are amazing. if he knew how to capture it until someone could have picked it up he would have. unfortunately alot of people are not educated.
so yer i was thinking of making up a basic fact sheet to give out on how to catch a snake if it has come into your personal space. and a number of who to call. that a good idea? or nah?

we get alot of king dwarf browns and red belly blacks here .

i was terrified of snakes until i got mine a month ago. i'm learning as much as i can and a have been doing research it is just sometimes good to see what others think.

Mate you cannot catch any Elapid using a basic fact sheet, and it should not be attempted unless you are absolutely confident in your ability to deal with it. your best option is to call a handler, isolate your pets and try and keep an eye on the snake from a safe distance until the handler gets there.

I am a relocator too and yeah i think thats a good idea.

BUT the info on the sheet should not mention anything about catching snakes..... only the local guys number.

The reasons are numerous and too long for me to go into now, but fore-mostly it is illegal for anyone not PROPERLY licenced to interfere with native animals.(catch,touch etc)

To help our venomous snakes out in the human /snake confrontation is a good thing.

i was terrified of snakes until i got mine a month ago. i'm learning as much as i can and a have been doing research it is just sometimes good to see what others think.[/QUOTE]

I reckon there are three types of people, 1. those that hate snakes and lift their feet when one comes on the telly, 2. those that love them but don't know it yet, and 3. those that love em. You were number two type!!

thanx guys! :) yer ... i was just thinking though could you not put like a buket over it and put holes in it so it cant move until someone comes? or nah?

and cement... i do i am soo interested my whole days since i have got this snake are researching or snake related hehe i want the best for my new pet... and i will deffienatly be getting another :) but also i would like to teach others that are scared like i was that if they are basicly educated that there is no need to stress.... and that was my problem... i have never come across a snake in the wild and honestly i reckon if i did i would be a bit scared but no where near to what i would have been if i didnt know what i do now.

And yeah what Cement said. Two years ago all I had was questions as well, and I copped a bit of flack for wanting to get into the venomous side of the hobby straight away. My best advice is do a relocators course and try and get involved somewhere that will give you access to vens even if your just observing other handlers. Don't get a big head and think you know it all after you have done a 1 day course or you will not be taken seriously by the people you can learn from, remember most ven keepers have been involved with snakes for a long period of time. And know your limitations, if your not comfortable with a situation don't put yourself in it.

oh no ... i do not want to be a relocater ... i just think it is amazing and i admire those that do... and no offence but you can never know too much :) i love to learn and i am confident in letting others know that im not experienced even as a snake pet owner, coz i learn more. im not afraid to ask questions even when others think its stupid because at the end of the day i never wanted a snake. but im so glad i had him given to me. i have learnt alot all ready and he is in a good home :)

i just want to know if you can keep a brown snake? if so what type of licence do you need? and if you can handle them?
im just curious as i think they are freaking gorgous...unfortunately the only live ones i have seen have been killed.

and live i meant by non picture/photo form

relocators courses are often done by people who just want their basic introduction into dealing with elapids, it doesn't mean you have to become a relocator.

really? hrrmm i will look into that thanx :) as i am not living on the out skirts of suburbia like most of my friends and famliy it is good to be educated. and where i live every summer there are alot of curious snakes roaming around.

I reckon there are three types of people, 1. those that hate snakes and lift their feet when one comes on the telly, 2. those that love them but don't know it yet, and 3. those that love em. You were number two type!!

Mate I have 3 snakes all non-vens and I lifted my feet just to read this thread.

I have to hold my tongue on these threads as I don't understand why you would want an animal that will kill you given the chance or if you make a mistake (as I am bound to at some point) but I respect every bodies right to their own opinion.

think from the question of the thread shows an interest. somene would hardly ask these questions if they wernt interested would they? you would guess the the person asking is very inexperienced, but at least their trying to learn.

Apparently they would ask the question.

You don't learn to swim by jumping in at the halfway point of the English Channel. The same principal applies to everything else in life so why not apply this logic in the case of venomous reptiles. People need to learn on something that is suitable to their experience level.

oh and i ment as im living on the outskirts of suburbia sorry was distracted hehe

You don't learn to swim by jumping in at the halfway point of the English Channel. The same principal applies to everything else in life so why not apply this logic in the case of venomous reptiles. People need to learn on something that is suitable to their experience level.

i never said im looking at getting a brownie in the near future... i dont think i would actually ever want to own one. i wouldnt mind meeting one though.

oh and i ment as im living on the outskirts of suburbia sorry was distracted hehe

i never said im looking at getting a brownie in the near future... i dont think i would actually ever want to own one. i wouldnt mind meeting one though.

Glad to hear it. I get a bit concerned when people who strike as newbies start talking about keeping or wanting to keep highly venomous snakes. I do think people shouldn't be dictated by bureaucrats about what they are allowed to keep but self preservation seems to come after bragging rites all too often in this hobby.

They are not the greatest conversationalists if you ever do happen to meet one. jokes

dont think i read anywhere in the thread that they wanted to get a venomous snake. they only asked if they could be handled and what license class was needed

Glad to hear it. I get a bit concerned when people who strike as newbies start talking about keeping or wanting to keep highly venomous snakes. I do think people shouldn't be dictated by bureaucrats about what they are allowed to keep but self preservation seems to come after bragging rites all too often in this hobby.

They are not the greatest conversationalists if you ever do happen to meet one. jokes

im still learning about my snake ..... i am no where near experienced enough to even be left in a room with a brownie..id cack my self. but i wouldnt mind holding one in then presence of a experienced person .
i do understand why people jump on me so quick in here , the questions i ask to those who are experienced are very stupid i know... but yer if i dont ask i dont learn. im getting alot of people coming down on me in here . i understand where they come from but yer still hurts, when im trying to do my best.

I don't understand why you would want an animal that will kill you given the chance or if you make a mistake .

It may just be your choice of words but saying they WILL kill you given the chance is totally wrong.
I think MAY would have been a better choice of words and keeping them is not the only "possibly life threatening" activity we will undertake in life.

im still learning about my snake ..... i am no where near experienced enough to even be left in a room with a brownie..id cack my self. but i wouldnt mind holding one in then presence of a experienced person .
i do understand why people jump on me so quick in here , the questions i ask to those who are experienced are very stupid i know... but yer if i dont ask i dont learn. im getting alot of people coming down on me in here . i understand where they come from but yer still hurts, when im trying to do my best.

You'll be right. Us Snakies can be bastards - I think it's a prerequisite

Cheers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back