Cane toads.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello people,
Woke up this morning and went to check on my bluetongues in my outdoor reptile enclosure, only to find my kimberely blue-tongue dead. Somehow a canetoad had gotten into the enclosure and the bluetongue had tried to eat it. :(

Something MUST be done about cane toads. Because of canetoads, many native australian reptile's have declined in numbers as well as other wildlife. They are causing so much destruction up the top end.

Does anybody have any idea's on what can be done?

I go toad hunting every night for half an hour then i freeze them. Does anybody else do anything like this? The only way we are going to stop these feral animals is for lots of people to help eradicate them.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but first thing that you should do is make it cane toad proof as well so that you dont have this happen again.

As for cane toads. Yeah they are a major problem. However, collection or collect and kill programs wont eradicate them.

Cane toads are a pretty fascinating animal and are a great example of invasive species. Evolution on one continent gets you by, but when taken to another place, you flourish.

If you want to become active, and see what you can actively do, then contact the guys at Team Bufo. They will be able to help you further.

Cheers
Dustin

Cane Toads

Cane toads are a pest as you know, not much can be done really though many have tried and i think we all have had a go at it at one point.
Sorry to hear about your Bluey i hate that.
:(

Everyone hates them for pretty obvious reasons, but I wonder if anyone would be prepared to keep them as a ..... PET ???? Just to study them ?? Any takers ???

if you freeze them you won't kill them they just fall asleep. also up here we have groups through out the teritory called toad busters that you can volunteer for. also there toad busters big metal bins around everywhere you can pick up toad traps. the easiest was to kill one is put in in a plastic bag and leave it on the really hot driveway at the hottest time of the day. they only last 5-10 minutes and exsplode. who cares about humain when these this kill so much and are classes as pest. in QLD they been around since I was really little and they where worse there then here wiped everything in it's past it taken that long to reach the territory and there only starting to do something about it...makes you wonder.

sorry to hear about your bluey.

I know conservation volunteers australia (CVA) used to run 'Toadbuster' trips. I'm not sure if they still do them, but you could have a look on their website.

could you:...
shoot them with a slug gun, say they explode will animals still die if they eat them.
otherwise do that they do to mice..
catch them and drown them its the only way.. but then again how would u dispose of them? the tip?

oh my gosh cant begin to imagine wat ur going through.:( id be distraught to find any of my animals had been killed by such an ugly, uselss, good for nothing, introduced species.

ive had my share of toads before. the pests used to kill all the native wildlife include green tree snakes and a few browns. used to spray em with detol. i kno i kno, actually really inhumane as this kind of erodes at their skin and makes them swell so they cant move (this gives you a pretty easy target though as they cant escape once you take out the cricket bat to get ready to send em flying:p)

Sorry to here about your loss mate

i'd be ROYALLY P8ssed off i would of stomped the **** out of that bloody cane toad

I am a Pom living in this wonderful country.Believe it or not, Cane toads, or marine or giant toads as they are also known, are popular pets for herpers in the UK.I had one for a few years.It used to love eating slugs, and pretty much anything else it could get in its mouth.The difference between here and there is that they are not an introduced pest, that reek havic amongst the native fauna.As a reptile lover I would have a problem killing one, although that is what needs to happen to them.Keelbacks can eat toads, so maybe a breeding plan to increase the number of Keelbacks.Nature is an amazing thing, and over time the native fauna will learn to cope with Cane Toads.

re Cane

Sorry to here about the loss of your bluetongue but in fairness allott of money was spent by the QLD govt getting them here in the first place,they must know what they are doing surely,they arnt a bunch of bricklayers labours at the pub these are trained scientists :lol:
If for some reason they dont eat all the cane beetles you can play golf with them instead or send them all to xmas island :)

I am a Pom living in this wonderful country.Believe it or not, Cane toads, or marine or giant toads as they are also known, are popular pets for herpers in the UK.I had one for a few years.It used to love eating slugs, and pretty much anything else it could get in its mouth.The difference between here and there is that they are not an introduced pest, that reek havic amongst the native fauna.As a reptile lover I would have a problem killing one, although that is what needs to happen to them.Keelbacks can eat toads, so maybe a breeding plan to increase the number of Keelbacks.Nature is an amazing thing, and over time the native fauna will learn to cope with Cane Toads.
Unfortunately an adult keelback would only kill at most 15-20 toads a year
2 adult toads will produce thousands o young every year so it would be hard to make an impact
also keelbacks also prey on native fauna
mayb they should start a program that rewards people $1 for each toad they bring in
u watch all the broke rednecks jumping to make a buck
problem is even if the numbers started to get low it just takes a good rain year to replenish their stocks

Sorry bout ur blue tongue

sorry about your blue tongue

ive volunteered for the cane busters program and am goin out tonight, protect the Kimberleys =D

I remember reading, maybe 6 months or so ago, there was a group of scientists working on a vaccine (for want of a better word) that would prevent a cane toad from producing any female offspring in hope that it would cut down on numbers and potentially become the down fall of the species in Australia. Any one have any info on this?

Regards.

Ewan.

Sorry about your Bluey, as Slothhead said, toad-proof your enclosure to prevent it happening again.

I've heard the problem with the Toadbusters or whatever it's called is that the collection nights all occur around populated cities & towns (pls correct me if I'm wrong), yet the toads range includes a lot of remote areas too. Sure you might see less toads aound the towns (for a while), but to be honest, I can't see how it'd help in the long run, unfotunately. Would still encourage collections in the mean time until a more effective solution is found.

I remember reading, maybe 6 months or so ago, there was a group of scientists working on a vaccine (for want of a better word) that would prevent a cane toad from producing any female offspring in hope that it would cut down on numbers and potentially become the down fall of the species in Australia. Any one have any info on this?
I've heard the same thing re: European carp

people say killing a toad doesnt make a difference, but you are going to save atleast a few animals, remember thats a start and toads have thousands of young each year. So if you see one kill it! everyone helps and you will make a diffence, even if you spent your weekend erradicating them from a small area, thats less cane toads and some area that wont have them..... untill more arrive :(

sorry about your blue tongue and a nine iron solves the toad problem, It is quick for the toad and no different really than knocking a rat...

Does anyone know if its safe to eat toads that have had their skin and poison glands removed?

Everyone hates them for pretty obvious reasons, but I wonder if anyone would be prepared to keep them as a ..... PET ???? Just to study them ?? Any takers ???

I have thought about keeping some to learn about them, but havnt been bothered yet and actually havnt found any tadpoles or juveniles for a long time. They are pretty cool herps and i believe we are allowed to keep them in Qld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back