Capturing Escapees - Woodies / Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzmixer

Reaction score
Recently decieded to give feeding my CBD's some woodies a try and well they love them! The only problem is because they're so damn quick the odd one or two escape and bury themselfs into the substrate. So now I've burried a plastic tub and covered the rim in fluon, they're always in the tub and the lizards have worked out thats where they always are, i even put a thumb tack into the side of the tank to stop the lizards accidently flipping the tub over (tub sits under the thumb tack). But now they jump into the tub and the woodies just run up there legs and escape. Its a never ending battle.

How does everyone feed there dragons? Surely there's an easier way to do this.

Skitz.

I used to feed my beardies woodies and crickets in a tub outside the enclosure with the lid on.

hm.. ok.. i've got some young hatchies that i dont like to handle much so this might be a good option for the adults but not so much for the hatchies..

where are the hatchies kept and why dont you like to handle them? The only option is to take them out and put them in a tub for feeding... otherwise you hand feed your beardies every single bug or accept that you will have escapees :) lol
Put the fluon around the top of the tub as well. It truly is the easiest and best way. I put a textured floor tile inside the tub as well for traction. If you are feeding crix make sure the tub is high enough they cant jump out LOL

Can partially bury the tub so it doesn't flip?

Fridge only works if they eat them in a relatively short time frame though. What about a smaller container so the lizards can't actually stand in it but can just stick their head in?

can we see a pic of the tub? im also curious coz this happens to me to

i have a cricket keeper with removable black tunes in it and i slide a tube out and tap out a couple of cricks out at a time and wait till Buddha eats them then tap out another couple and so on till he loses intrest ...only problem i am having is getting the crickets from their store packet into the keeper lol...needless to say we have had a few cricks chirping all night here as they have grown while on the lose

Teach your Beardies to eat from tongs (round ended surgical type ones are best). Then you know exactly how many each eat, and no escapees. All my lizards eat like this.

Teach your Beardies to eat from tongs (round ended surgical type ones are best). Then you know exactly how many each eat, and no escapees. All my lizards eat like this.

How do they pick the tongs up? Pretty clever beardies you've got there ingie.

where are the hatchies kept and why dont you like to handle them? The only option is to take them out and put them in a tub for feeding... otherwise you hand feed your beardies every single bug or accept that you will have escapees :) lol
Put the fluon around the top of the tub as well. It truly is the easiest and best way. I put a textured floor tile inside the tub as well for traction. If you are feeding crix make sure the tub is high enough they cant jump out LOL

The hatchies are in there own enclosure, 4x2x2, heaps of things for them to run around and climb on, no hides though. Using newspaper as the substrate for now. I dont like to handle them because there only a week old, i figured i'd rather not handle them until they get a little bit older. They just feel so brittle, im scared i'll hurt them by accident if i pick them up to much.

i have a cricket keeper with removable black tunes in it and i slide a tube out and tap out a couple of cricks out at a time and wait till Buddha eats them then tap out another couple and so on till he loses intrest ...only problem i am having is getting the crickets from their store packet into the keepei r lol...needless to say we have had a few cricks chirping all night here as they have grown while on the lose

haha yeah i let some go by accident, found them chirping away in the next room.. maybe theres a woodie keeper i could get haha

Last edited:
How do they pick the tongs up? Pretty clever beardies you've got there ingie.

kinda like chopsticks....maybe they're asian beardies

i put a bit of calcium powder and vitamin powder in a plastic tub, then stick the food item in. shake em around so there all coated, them put the beardie in.....the powder coated bugs cant climb the plastic, and feeding only takes about 30 secs

I use a ceramic ramekin to feed out woodies, its heavy enough not to be flipped, herp shop sell roach traps haven't tried them myself but apprently are great for catching escapees. I'm going to try them out in the new year as i have a breeding population of woodies living behind the foam background and everytime i lift up the food bowl 20 or so babies scatter

I use a ceramic ramekin to feed out woodies, its heavy enough not to be flipped, herp shop sell roach traps haven't tried them myself but apprently are great for catching escapees. I'm going to try them out in the new year as i have a breeding population of woodies living behind the foam background and everytime i lift up the food bowl 20 or so babies scatter

thats a good idea, im heading into bunnings, my second home.. I might try and pick something like that up.

I like the idea if a little bowl in the enclosure for the strays to fall into.

Does it really matter if some hide? or if you don't know how many they eat?
I just chuck a handful of bugs in, if some escape into substrate I figure they are going to get caught eventually, plus my EWDs like digging through the substrate for snacks.
I've had colony of woodies in my enclosure before too.

i either hand feed woodies or take the beardies out into the garage one by one to throw a few roaches around,...(i throw, they run, skid, scoff,...lots of fun)

Put the crix in the fridge for a couple of minutes before you try and empty them into the keeper. You dont get escapees that way

i have a cricket keeper with removable black tunes in it and i slide a tube out and tap out a couple of cricks out at a time and wait till Buddha eats them then tap out another couple and so on till he loses intrest ...only problem i am having is getting the crickets from their store packet into the keeper lol...needless to say we have had a few cricks chirping all night here as they have grown while on the lose

I just shake an egg carton of woodies from my colony into a grocery bag, and put them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes..
Then I just individually hand feed each woody to my dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back