Cave design ideas please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarwinBrianT

Reaction score
Hi guys, my idea is to turn this into a cave by using fake rock walls.
I would love to see any pics of snake cages that have been made to look like a cave.
My idea so far is to make the very top bit above the top shelf to look like above ground with plants.
I was going to put a bigish hole in the middle of that top shelf that went into a cave down in the bottom bit.
Any and all input appreciated. Cheers Brian

kgrhqrhjeee94gwt8s1bphb.jpg

It would look something like this in the big bit down the bottom but not a beach theme.

41982836764156991413032.jpg

just use expanda foam mate on the part u wanna make look like the cave. then paint or grout it all the colour u want

could look very effective. cant help with pics of 'cave tanks' though, sorry. I have responded to you in the group in case you thought you hadnt been noticed in there :)

what are you planning on housing in there ?
are you keeping the cupboards as cupboards ?

Hey DarwinBrian! I am actually looking to a cave theme myself- for my beardies new enclosure, so when I saw this thread I was all like: Mother...! Son of B...h stole my idea! lol :) Mine was going to be completely 'underground', though- unlike your EXTREMELY COOL idea to have a sort of diorama situation happening! Was fairly impressed- can wait to see progress pics and the final result! (so make sure you take plenty, ok? :).)
SO!
Here are some pics that I found while looking for inspiration for my own enclosure, and also one for you:
View attachment 250033View attachment 250034 View attachment 250035View attachment 250036
Google image search is your friend- so is Planet Earth, the documentary- awesome shots in that show!
These are mostly of the Princess Margaret Rose Caves in SA. Went there once when I was a kid.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
Rhys.

That's totally do-able, but it might be hard to get the waves right :D

Try to get some flat sheets of poly styrene or cut up broccoli boxes. Cut layers with each layer a slightly different shape to create the overall shape you want. Glue the layers to the walls and underside of the shelf etc use a heat gun or propane torch to gently melt and blend the layers to refine your shape, then render it with acrylic render, colour the render to give a base colour then paint the rest.
You can get some great overhanging rock effects with polystyrene as it is very light weight.

Perhaps a star wars figure to replicate the little man?

Some pics of making it, still a long way to go.
The start.
2012school001.jpg

This gives you some idea of what it will look like
2012school036.jpg

I've put 6 deck lights in places around the cave bit, you won't see the light source just a glow from it when I'm finished.
2012school037.jpg

The red water bucket sits flush with the bottom floor and will also be lit from the out side of it to make it glow a bit. Keeping the inside of a volcano theme going....
snakecagepics011small.jpg

Last edited:
Hey DarwinBrian! I am actually looking to a cave theme myself- for my beardies new enclosure, so when I saw this thread I was all like: Mother...! Son of B...h stole my idea! lol :) Mine was going to be completely 'underground', though- unlike your EXTREMELY COOL idea to have a sort of diorama situation happening! Was fairly impressed- can wait to see progress pics and the final result! (so make sure you take plenty, ok? :).)
SO!
Here are some pics that I found while looking for inspiration for my own enclosure, and also one for you:
View attachment 250033View attachment 250034 View attachment 250035View attachment 250036
Google image search is your friend- so is Planet Earth, the documentary- awesome shots in that show!
These are mostly of the Princess Margaret Rose Caves in SA. Went there once when I was a kid.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
Rhys.

attachments don't work

That looks fantastic! I have almost the exact same cabinet but its going to be rainforest themed. You have given me some inspiration, great idea work with the subtle lighting and various shelves and ledges.

Thanks Catnei, I can't wait to see the pics of yours. Send me a pm of pics please so I don't miss the post it's a busy forum.

After some painting today, still need to dull down the red bits yet and finish that last shelf which I left out to reach the back easy to paint it.

snake014.jpg

Looks great. What have you used to cover foam? Have you just used paints to colour it?

Rendered the foam with cement and BondCrete mixed with a bit of water to make a kind of paint. Applied it with a paint brush. I went over it 2 times. Then painted it all black and dry brushed it with a terracotta paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back