Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variegata

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I don't want to seem stingy. But what's the cheapest reptile to maintain and breed?

I want to start breeding reptiles, not for money or anything, that's why I don't mind if they're cheap. I just like the idea of bringing more herps into the world. I dunno, it just seems like a good experience.

Anyway, because I've never bred anything before I'd like to know the cheapest and easiest reptile to breed and maintain. There seems to be pros and cons of each reptile, Geckos are generally expensive to buy, but cheap to house and feed. Some carpet pythons would be cheap, but I'm relatively new to snakes compared to lizards. Bearded dragons are cheap to buy but expensive to house and feed.

So what's the cheapest all-round reptile to breed? Preferably no skinks as they're my least favorite kind of reptile.

i found knob tailed gecko's easy to breed i had them in tubs with heat cord and just fed and sprayed them they did the rest

i also found alot of teh smaller spp of monitor super easy to breed all you have to do is smash them with food and keep them super hot! the only drawback is keeping a 60 dagree celcious basking spot 12hrs a day isint cheap

these unusual guys were easy as anything to breed as a matter of fact if anyone has any that are breeding id be interested in some young!

what city/state do you live in? do you own your own house or are you renting these are valid questions as if you own your own house and put in a pit it will serve you well for dragons and skinks or even monitors depending on what state your in

Geckos seem to be the easiest reptile to house, so I might look into that. What are those dragons? Going by the two lines are they two-lined dragons? haha.

In southern S.A, it's really cold so not much could handle living outside, although we're renting we have full control over what we do with the house and yard, so a pit would be easy.

it depends if you live in the right climate you could be super jew and build outdoor enclosures that way you wont pay for heating and in that case dragons would be your best bet the bonus of being easy to breed as well also i know you dont like skinks but blue tongues as well

blue tongue they have live young mate so alot easier

common blues are pretty good and are pretty cheap

Yeah I figured they'd be easy, and probably wouldn't need much in the way of heat down here. But I've had a few before, to be honest they bored me to death. They didn't really do all that much.

Marbled Geckos

I'd love some, I prefer geckos with normal tails like marbled geckos. But I can't seem to find them anywhere.

you also dident specify id you were after snakes or lizards, if snakes they only breed once a year however they are super easy to house and feed only weekly when young and every 10 days to 2 weeks when adult

cheaper species are
stimsons
macci's
childrens
coastals
bredli
murry darlings
darwins

heaps of choice
also depends on what your willing to spend on housing and on the actual pair themselves

Yeah I've got a 66% het Darwin, so breeding them in the future is an option, but it took a lot to convince the landlord to let me get one snake, I think two would be pushing it, let alone all the hatchlings haha. So I'll try to focus on lizards for now. thanks though.

asian house gecko's are the easiest to breed. just need a house and they'll do the rest, don't even have to feed them :)

Rough scaled pythons. but just make sure you pay oldskool prices : -)

dpnks

Goldfish would be great because you wouldnt need to pay the electricity to get the water warm.

You haven't really explained why you want cheap animals to breed. Maybe if you explained a bit more about what you are trying to achieve then the advice could be tailored to your situation. Do you want cheap animals to purchase, cheap to house, cheap to feed etc or maybe all of these?

Beardies are easy to breed, but in my opinion are probably one of the most expensive reptiles to keep and maintain, particularly if your planning on breeding and have to feed dozens of growing juveniles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back