Check out the size of the head on this!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
These are a few photo's of a Krefft's turtle showing Macrocephaly which is basically extreme development of of the muscles, skull and jaws from eating hard things like Freshwater Mussells all it's life.

Very similar to a body builder concentrating on certain muscles to increase their size.

We put the turtle in a tub of water and later found at least 250grams of crushed mussel shell that she voided.

This is the most extreme case of Macrocephaly that I have ever seen or noticed in books.

Cheers,

Craig
Kreffts-Macrocephalycloseup1.jpg

Kreffts-Macrocephalycloseup2.jpg

Kreffts-Macrocephalycloseup3.jpg

G'day Craig,

If housed in captivity and fed a "soft" diet, would the macrocephaly reverse itself?

BLOODY HELL.

Its a pity you can't measure its bite strength. With muscle development like that I'm sure it'd be through the roof.

What do you think the chances of it developing stress fractures in its jaw, skull etc from the excess force are?

BLOODY HELL.

Its a pity you can't measure its bite strength. With muscle development like that I'm sure it'd be through the roof.

What do you think the chances of it developing stress fractures in its jaw, skull etc from the excess force are?

Put it this way, I don't normall worry about a bite from an adult Krefft's while doing research, but there is no way in hell I was going to put my fingers anywhere near her mouth!

She wouldn't have a problem as the jawbone, skull width and length have all developed at the same rate with the muscle.

What happens to her now? Re-release after research?

she looks in wonderful nick, and obviously flourishing on her diet. could this be evolution in motion?

Thats 1 ugly looking turtle, is this very common?

No, not really. It's actually pretty uncommon. She has chosen to feed exclusively on Mussels by choice whereas others eat vegetation, fish or carrion or a combination of the 3. An exclusive mussel eater will only develop the Macrocephaly to allow her to crush Mussel shells.

if you did put your finger in there, the next time you would have seen it would be in its POO. hahaha. that is the biggest case of macro....sumthinarather ive seen.

what were her total measurements - weight, shell length etc? did you catch her for research specifically or did you just see her on a bush walk? So glad to hear she has been released again. Did you spot any others in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back